I took the Mobil 1 plunge today, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I'm about 1000kms/600 mi early, I took the plunge today and went to Mobil 1 10W30 with an AC Delco PF52 filter in my '96 Yukon (5.7L Vortec) with 190100kms/118000mi.

Something I never really considered: What kind of chanage interval should I be looking at? I have always been religious about 5000km/3000mi changes in the past, but have heard that synthetic extends the interval significantly.

I just short-changed twice. Right after I bought it at the beginning of May (even though the dealer said they changed it before I picked it up, I wanted the peace of mind) and again at 3000kms to help clean it out if there was any junk in it.

Recommendations? This is the first time (that I know of) that the truck's ever seen synthetic.

Since this is your first run on synthetic, I'd keep it in there for 3000 miles max and then change it out. Run the next batch for 6000 and do a UOA to see how the oil is doing in this engine. Based on those results you can determine if even longer drain intervals (7500+) are possible.

I agree with above posts. I did the same or similiar with my 4-Runner. It took about 15000 miles or so to get most of the dino residue using frequent dino changes at first then quick changes on the M1.
cheers.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles

[ June 29, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Muskoka,

This may seem over simplistic, but what is the mfgr specified interval? With a good synth, for which M1 qualifies, you should easly be able to go the full normal service interval.

The one caveat is if your towing. Even with synth, I'd change it at the severe sevice interval if your using the truck for major towing duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back