I took my company car a Ford to an quick oil change shop and....

Status
Not open for further replies.
..they charge $6 extra for 5w20 oil.
I couldn't believe it.
A sign read 5w20 and 15w40 and another weight I don't remember $6 extra.
What a ripoff!
Quaker State products.
Oh well..I was there already and the company pays the bill but I won't go there again.

Yet another reason to wonder if putting 5w30 in an engine spec'd for 5w20 will do it any harm or cause warranty grief.

quote:

Originally posted by GrtArtiste:
Yet another reason to wonder if putting 5w30 in an engine spec'd for 5w20 will do it any harm or cause warranty grief.

There is no such thing as an engine "spec'd" for 5w20. Only compliance with EPA.

Not necessarily with the bulk oils. For retail oils, they will typically make the prices the same (as we see with GC -- obviously better quality base oils, but same price as the 5W/10W-30 Syntec). But with bulk oils, it is entirely conceivable that the 5W-20 would be more $$$ because they must use higher quality oils.

Furthermore, many quick lubes, even recently, were not stocking bulk 5W-20 as customer demand was/is weak. So the 5W-20 they might be selling would be out of gallon or quart containers, leading to the price discrepancy.

quote:

The shop guy did say 5w30 could be used without a problem.

quote:

The shop guy did say 5w30 could be used without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back