I think Mobil 1 may suck after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the startup noise everyone is hearing is actually mind signals from Amsoil Corporate
tongue.gif

In an effort the get this back on track - I use mobil 1 10w-30 in my Miata. I recently did an oil change and the filter I was trying was oversized but slightly to oversized. Would not fit. I used an new OEM filter instead. A couple of days later I replaced the OEM with a Pureone oversize but one that would fit. The OEM filter was full of mobil 1 and this is a horizonial mount. The Pureone must hold oil well also as there is no noise at startup even after siting for two weeks. I think you need to buy better filters.

I don't think it always has to do with the oil filter. I've always used AC-Delco filters on my truck and its hard for me to believe that every filter since about 34,000 miles has been bad. Since I switched to Chevron Supreme, I have not heard hardly any startup noise. With Mobil 1, it was a loud pronounced tapping noise that sometimes went away and other times not. I personally feel Mobil 1 is way too thin and drains off of the internal engine components too easily. I also feel its too thin when hot because I also had loud ticking at hot idle. This does not happen with the Chevron. I think Mobil 1 is just too thin for some engines and mine is one of them. The noise may not be hurting anything but I don't like listening to it and it makes me feel like this oil is not protecting like it should.

Wayne

Amsoil Synthetic 5w30 is better than Mobil 1 Super Sync 5w30?

What's the differences for Amsoil Series 2000 and normal Amsoil Synthetic ASL? Series 2000 is better?

I don't have any more noise than usual since switching to Mobil 1 10w30 in my '95 Formula. However,I've noticed oil leaking past my drain plug. I just put a new seal/washer on the drain plug not long ago. It has to be some thin oil to do that!!!

Also, I have a lot more noise since switching to M1 10w30/Wix in my wife's GTP. I have begun to smell a little oil or something else burning. I haven't had time to investigate, but I bet know what the deal is. I must say this: The oil is cleaner than any other oil/filter combo I have used in the past on any engine.

In other words, you have at least 3 variables and a small sample size

Yeah, I would have tried using the same "dry" filter with dino.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back