I Think I've Now Officially Seen it All

Had a link on my e-mail from Cars.com this morning.
So I thought that for excrement and giggles, I would do a search of used cars for < than 4K.
Ran across this "Gem:"

It is a 2001 Chevrolet Prism "Base" with 144K on it.
From the pictures, it presents as a decent enough, although unremarkable vehicle (I owned 2 of them.)
Price seemed high, but not totally outlandish, given the current market situation.
However, the chicanery is in the details.
On top of the $789. Dealer fee, is the required $1299. fee for 5 years of Lojack.
Five years of Lojack are required on a 22 year old "Toyolet"? Seriously?
Amazing.

Government should just make that nonsense illegal

Price posted is the price, options are optional, no exceptions

Even more amusing is that Lojack is effectively out of business but not enough to stop selling a service,

gotta wonder how long it will be viable with useful support as a zombie company that doesn’t develop anything

We all know that nobody wants Lojack it’s just a cash extraction device at this point.

Had a link on my e-mail from Cars.com this morning.
So I thought that for excrement and giggles, I would do a search of used cars for < than 4K.
Ran across this "Gem:"

It is a 2001 Chevrolet Prism "Base" with 144K on it.
From the pictures, it presents as a decent enough, although unremarkable vehicle (I owned 2 of them.)
Price seemed high, but not totally outlandish, given the current market situation.
However, the chicanery is in the details.
On top of the $789. Dealer fee, is the required $1299. fee for 5 years of Lojack.
Five years of Lojack are required on a 22 year old "Toyolet"? Seriously?
Amazing.
Ok, so tell them you aren't paying for it. Folks post crazy stuff like this all the time...who actually doesn't negotiate that away? Crap added like this has been around forever. Only folks who aren't savvy pay for it. I'd offer them OTD for what they are asking at most.

The system is only as good as law enforcement agencies’ willingness to use it.

I was a senior supervisor in a very large agency. The LoJack receivers belonged to the company and installation in cruisers was not subsidized in any way. That is, the agency itself must decide to allocate fleet vehicle funds toward installation.

Though I retired in 2020, I can’t recall the topic of LoJack receiver installation being mentioned in vehicles since about ten years ago.

Taking into account agency replacement of about 1/3 of the fleet every three years, thus a projected life cycle of no more than nine years (for a very reliable vehicle— I’ve driven five year old cruisers that were ready for the junkyard and should not have been in our fleet), and I bet all of the LoJack receivers have “aged out” of that fleet by now.

Comical-no way book value on that 21-22 year old Prizm is over $2K, and they have the nerve to throw another $2K of pack on top of it! That’s why they’re “stealerships”!
That's why you buy cars in this class private party - always.

Some brand/models of car have only a couple private party cars for sale nationwide
Sub 5K cars - tough to buy that off a lot and most will be on buy here/pay here type dealers.

Back