I think I'm sticking to PYB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 4k into my 1st time using PYB (5w/30) in my DD (2010 Hyundai Tucson 2.4l DI) and now that the mornings are cooler, 1st early morning start it still seems more quiet than the PP I was using, same as Kendall and MS5K previously. Or it's because I'm almost up to 75k on the engine and that's just the way it is, or it's just me. I dunno, just seems to like PYB. So it's cheaper and since I do 5k OCIs, good enough for me.
Just picked up another 5-qt jug today and it was $15.99 OTD (local BX).
Was going to go the new PP? but no 5w/30 again, so PYB it is, again.
Of all these years, hard to believe I'm on my 1st time use of PYB. So far so good, just saying. And just checking the oil level @4k, it's still on the full mark on the stick. I'm usually down 1/2-qt with the other oils used, so that makes me a littler more happy.

"Synthetics" being cheapened while "Dino" is being improved to meet carmaker specs means there is less of a reason to spend extra on "synthetic oil".

If "Dino" is half the price go for it.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
It will never get cold enough where you live to even begin to stress that oil.

Agreed.
And PYB is a great product. It was on sale for 14 a jug when I was at Walmart last week. My stash is still huge so I painfully walked away from it but 14 dollar oil changes are real tough to beat.

PYB is one of my favorites. Used it for more oil changes than I care to count it is more than good enough for most daily drivers.

Sure, but if I've learned anything from this site, it's that brand loyalty is pretty pointless. That said, you aren't going to go broke using it. Unless you have a very specialized use, you won't go wrong, either.

I rarely use conventional oil, only when I got it for almost nothing like FAR Peak conventional few years ago at Pep Boys, the only cost was tax, no stamp because I submitted rebate online. Therefore I didn't try PYB yet, the closest to it was Pennzoil semi-syn I got from WM last year at about $5-6 for 6 quarts. I tried Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra and they are okay, no better nor worse than M1.

My experience...PYB 10w30 is the quietest...more so than PP 10w30. PUP 10w30 is almost as quiet as PYB 10w30 and the engine spins up faster.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Oil Changer said:
And PYB is a great product. It was on sale for 14 a jug when I was at Walmart last week. My stash is still huge so I painfully walked away from it but 14 dollar oil changes are real tough to beat.

LOL...same here! I'm like a kid in the candy store when good oils have a great deal going on. I figure in a couple of years I'll be able to take advantage of another awesome deal.

Not a bad decision at all. It and it's SOPUS cousins, QSGB, Formula Shell would all be great choices.

I would also include MS5K and VWB.

I have my first fill of PHM which is almost identical to PYB. I've never used either before but I like how the PHM is running. The taurus used 3/4qt in 3k with Maxlife and I'm 2k in and haven't burned a drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back