I think I'm set for lead for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been collecting lead to cast and reload for some time. A couple of years ago I went around and bought some wheel weights and melted them into ingots. Since then my plumber friend has been dropping off old pipe and bits of sheet. More recently I scored a really big chunk (150+ lbs) from a friend who used it as weight on his lawn tractor.

I was out in the garage yesterday cleaning and got bitten by the bug, so I fired up the two place outdoor stove and went to melting... The really big piece came in a steel box, so I melted it in that- it took about 1 1/2 hours to get the darn thing hot enough! Probably took 4 hours to cast everything...

20150524_203126_zpsyqypbfmy.jpg

There is approximately 240lbs of lead that is of unknown alloy and approximately 75lbs of pure lead.

Add to that, this- which is my first batch at around 200lbs which means that I'm somewhere north of 500lbs of lead ready to be made into bullets. That's a lot of bullets!

20150524_203138_zpsdrw0q9df.jpg

If you google "backyard metal casting" there is a man that casts and melts all kinds of metal. I was intrigued. My fathers friend uses a waste oil fired burner to melt his lead for sinkers and muzzleloader balls also
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
You are all ready for the zombie apocalypse!

I think so!

Some math on that:

1lb = 7000 grains

That means if I cast 230grn .45 ACP, then I'll have 15,217 rounds.

If I cast 115grn 9mm, then I'll have 30,434 rounds.

If I cast 9mm in 124grn rounds, then I'll have 28,225 rounds.

If I split the lead 50/50 between 230grn .45ACP and 115grn 9mm, then I'll have 7608 and 15,217 respectively.

Any way you slice it, that's a lot of zombies!

Better start stocking up on powder, primers, and brass. In my 20+ of reloading, the trick is to have all 4 components at the same time and in the current state of affairs, that condition is a rare thing!
11.gif

You're right about that... And the rest of the components are next on my list.

Eric,

Did you skim the zinc weights off the molten lead before they melted? Hopefully, otherwise you'll find that the lead/zinc alloy has a very high surface tension and is almost impossible to cast.

Wayne

Wayne- I sorted the lead/zinc wheel weights as best as possible. I did miss a few when melting, but they didn't melt near as quickly as the pure lead weights did so I was able to sift them out... I hope. The latest batch shouldn't be an issue but since I know nothing about where it came from, I could be wrong.

Cool!

Am I the only guy who I'm walking down the street and I find a lead weight by the curb, I pick it up and pocket it?

I'm a board member of an indoor range and used to get buckets of lead when we cleaned the backstop out. I now have a couple/few tons of lead in ingots, yes tones. I also have 8 to 10 buckets to smelt yet, might get to it some day.

I've also switched from lubing bullets to powder coating, eliments leading completly & much cleaner.

Ummm.... WOW! Guess I don't have near as much as I thought!

As to powder coating- how do you go about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back