I think I need a new oil for my 03 Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, by following some of the posts here, I decided to run the VR1 20-50 synthetic in my Sportster. I have looked everywhere here in northern California and cannot find it. I went to O'Reilly and asked them if they could order some and after checking, told me they could not. So... what is everyone thinking is a good replacement. I want to stay with synthetic and would like something I can put in both holes (engine and primary - wet clutch). Thanks

Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 or Harley Syn3. You can get the Mobil1 at Autozone. If it is not on the shelf ask the store manager to order you some because they stock it in their warehouse. O'Reilleys should have the Castrol Power RS4T 20w50 as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Amsoil sells a 20w-50 motorcycle oil, don't they?

Yes, and it is good as well.

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
You can get the Mobil1 at Autozone. If it is not on the shelf ask the store manager to order you some because they stock it in their warehouse.

Most walmarts stock it as well.

Ok, Thanks Guys. I was thinking about Amsoil. I just need to try to find out where to buy it locally. If that does not work, I'll go with the Mobil1.

Contact Pablo, our BITOG Amsoil dealer. Chances are, he can have the product delivered to your door for about the same as you'd pay in a store, and you don't have to run around wasting time and gas looking for it.

Originally Posted By: Trigger
Ok, Thanks Guys. I was thinking about Amsoil. I just need to try to find out where to buy it locally. If that does not work, I'll go with the Mobil1.

There is an Amsoil guy on here somewhere. He can probably get it for you and just have it shipped to your home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Red Line 20w50 and shockproof gear oil.

It is a Sportster. 2 sumps. Shockproof would destroy the clutch.

If you can find it, this syn blend will do an excellent job, perhaps better than the other fine oils mentioned:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/707.pdf

707 SUPREME SYNTHETIC PLUS V-TWIN RACING OIL SAE 20W-50 API SN
Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil is highly advanced premium quality multigrade para-synthetic, high zinc containing 4 stroke racing engine oil that is formulated to meet the lubrication demands of V-Twin engines. Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil can also be used in those motorcycles that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system.

Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil is recommended for use in all 4-cycle air-cooled or water-cooled motorcycle and ATV engines. Supreme Synthetic V-Twin Racing Oil however is not recommended for use in 4-cycle marine engines that specify the use of a NMMA FC or FC-W four cycle engine oil. Supreme Synthetic Plus V-Twin Racing Oil meets and exceeds the following specifications and manufacturers’ requirements: API Service Classification SN, Harley-Davidson® V-Twin specifications and JASO (T903) MA-2 specifications

Check Auto zone. Just picked up a few qts of VR1 Synthetic for my Harley. Dont seem to carry it anymore at o reileys or Advance. Great oil and a cool blue. Really quieted down the twin cam 103.

Been using Amsoil (both holes) a couple years, no issues.
I still have some stash to use up but once its gone, going to try the VR1.

Rotella conventional is working out really well in my shared sump bikes and the engine and primary of my Harley.
The top end is very quiet and the oil is barely blackened at 3000kms

Here is another vote for Mobil 1 20w-50 oil for both holes on a Sportster. That's what I ran in the 2000 xlh 1200 I used to own and the tranny shifted great with it.

I have since become the proud owner of a 2011 Softail Heritage Classic. Wish I could have kept the Sportster as well....great bike for just running around on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back