I test drove a 2011 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's cousin bought a brand new 6 speed manual convertible in Aug and he offered to let me drive it yesterday. I had an '88 LX 5.0, but that 5 liter was nothing like today's version of that engine. The new one feels like it's got about double the power of the old one...to say it scoots right along is an understatement. This car hits 100 pretty quickly. As much fun as this car is to drive, I just couldn't see spending $33K on what's basically nothing more than a toy...but apparently there are people who do...

They are nice, decent interior, fast, and handle REAL well...

Although if you want 90% of the power, a little less in the handling department, and be practical there's always the Taurus SHO. It will get you into trouble just as easy (maybe easier since it's so quiet)
wink.gif

If you live in a warm climate that won't see snow it's a reasonable car if you don't mind paying for fuel.

Originally Posted By: grampi
As much fun as this car is to drive, I just couldn't see spending $33K on what's basically nothing more than a toy...but apparently there are people who do...

You only live once!
beer3.gif

My wife's cousin bought a brand new 6 speed manual convertible in Aug and he offered to let me drive it yesterday. I had an '88 LX 5.0, but that 5 liter was nothing like today's version of that engine. The new one feels like it's got about double the power of the old one...to say it scoots right along is an understatement. This car hits 100 pretty quickly. As much fun as this car is to drive, I just couldn't see spending $33K on what's basically nothing more than a toy...but apparently there are people who do...

I just couldn't see having something not similar to the Mustang you drove.
I think I paid 32,000 for my WS6 in 2000. I still have it.
I couldn't do an appliance car. Even my Buick is supercharged and I have mods done to it.

I had an 07 GT 5spd. LOVED it. Too bad I turned poor, my Saturn just doesn't have the fun factor
smile.gif
. I have been tempted to drive the new GTs for the fun of it. My 07 would hit 60 in almost exactly 5 seconds and like you said it just kept pulling up to over 110...not that I ever did anything like that.

Awesome car. A little bit big (on the outside) for my taste but I probably would've been buying one in the next year or so if I could've lived with another coupe. Love the sound.

I love my 02GT but I haven;t test driven a new one because I don't need the temptation. I've really enjoyed not having any car payments for several years now.

I have an 08 4.6L GT, 5-speed manual. I love the car. I'd like to drive the new 5.0. Then again maybe i don't need to. I would probably not get the smokin deal I did on the 08. I like some of the 10 restyle, but other parts of it I have not warmed up to. There have been some bad press on the Chinese sourced transmissions. I hope they got a good one.
http://jalopnik.com/5792482/faulty-chinese+built-transmissions-plague-new-ford-mustang
I regularly get around 24-25 MPG driving back and forth to work. It's not great, but better than my truck, and not bad for the performance. My Saturn Astra would drop down to 27 MPG in the winter, and wouldn't get out of its own way.

My wife's cousin said he got 27 MPG in the 'Stang driving it back from Alabama...that's pretty good for a muscle car...

Originally Posted By: JRed
If you live in a warm climate that won't see snow it's a reasonable car if you don't mind paying for fuel.

I see tons of them in Miami.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
They are nice, decent interior, fast, and handle REAL well...

Although if you want 90% of the power, a little less in the handling department, and be practical there's always the Taurus SHO. It will get you into trouble just as easy (maybe easier since it's so quiet)
wink.gif

Yeah that SHO weighs 4400lbs and costs this side of $50,000 after taxes and fees.

The new Stang is a hot one. Excellent "bang" for your buck!

But they do have some issues. There are reports on engine noises, transmissions, and they have brake modulation issues and seem to overheat on the road courses once in a while.

I can tell you for sure they are fun to drive.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Yeah that SHO weighs 4400lbs and costs this side of $50,000 after taxes and fees.

I can't get over the sticker shock of these new vehicles. I can remember when fully loaded Mustang GTs and SHO Taurus' could be had for well under $20K....

I can't get over the sticker shock of these new vehicles. I can remember when fully loaded Mustang GTs and SHO Taurus' could be had for well under $20K....

X 2 what the [censored] happened??

Lets see...

The engine designs have changed, and are not only way more powerful, but more efficient on fuel, too.

The interiors are much nicer quality than the Mustangs and SHO's of yesteryear.

The chassis' of the two new vehicles are way better than the old ones you are thinking of.

Cost of materials has gone way up over the years.

Need I go on?

BC.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I just couldn't see having something not similar to the Mustang you drove.
I think I paid 32,000 for my WS6 in 2000. I still have it.
I couldn't do an appliance car. Even my Buick is supercharged and I have mods done to it.

Same here.
I just would not drive (or would ride my bicycle everywhere) if I were forced to be behind the wheel of an appliance-type car.
31.gif

The detractors' derogatory "I grew up"/'matured' statements have sooo little meaning to me as I HOPE that I never "grow up" that much!!!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back