I stood in line for 2 hours to buy a six-pack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
grin2.gif
Well, this isn't your average six-pack. The beer is called 'Darkness' and it's brewed by Surly Brewing Co. in Brooklyn Center, MN. It's a Russian Imperial Stout, and it's only brewed once a year in very limited quantities.

In 2006 (the first year it was brewed) they only made 10 barrels, and it was released in kegs for a small number of bars. In 2007 approx 25 barrels were made, mostly kegs, in addition to 400 (750ml) bottles - which were only sold at the brewery.

This year approx 50 barrels were brewed, mostly keg, but 4200 (750ml) bottles were also produced. To get the beer you had to show up at the brewery on "Darkness Day". Each person was allowed to purchase up to 6 bottles, for 17 dollars a piece. Beer was only guaranteed to the first 700 people who showed up.

I showed up at 10:00 AM (gates opened at 12:00) and ended up being number 449 in line! It appeared that approx 1000 people showed up, so a number of people didn't get any beer. I got 6 bottles, and so did the girlfriend. Cracked one last night and I have to say it was worth all of the hype!

I went last year, so I knew what to expect of the beer itself, but word got around, and a LOT more people showed up this year.

(Captions below each photo)

IMG_0749.jpg

The line to get in. Yes, it's wrapping all the way around the corner. There were also at least that many people behind me.

IMG_0751.jpg

Poster of the label

IMG_0775.jpg

The crowd. They had food vendors, taps of their other beers, bands playing, etc. Set up like a festival, it was a lot of fun.

IMG_0780.jpg

Made out of crushed Surly cans.

IMG_0800.jpg

The end result of all the standing in line. Definitely worth it, because the beer is delicious!

BTW I did some quick math about the cash flowing around during the event. All sales were cash only, to speed things up. (There were a number of armed security guards hanging out with all the cash floating around)

700 people x $100 per = $70K (Just for the Darkness)
700 people x $3 tap beer x approx 3 beers per person = $6300
700 people, many of whom bought merchandise (glasses, shirts, hats, posters, etc) = between $5K-$10K.
(Food was done by commercial vendors)

So just for one days work, they made well over $80K. Minus expenses, I imagine they raked in over $70K. All the people tapping beer, directing traffic, etc were volunteers. Brewery itself only has 7 employees.

I imagine the employees are celebrating whole heartedly! Good for them though, I would do the same thing if I was in their shoes.

No doubt...

17 bucks for ONE bottle of beer? I guess membership has its costs.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Makes me glad I don't drink...
LOL.gif

Glad you are happy with the purchase.

Enjoy! Bill
ditto!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back