I still think Mobil 1 HM is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
usage maybe 0.5 qt every 6000 miles with valv maxlife and M1 EP in the past. I don't run it past that. maybe not even that much gets consumed. And I think most of that is from the oil pan gasket.

The Mobil 1 HM would meet api sn if they had a higher allowable limit on zddp it's just as good as any API SN oil. Don't worry about using it in anything I'd use it in a newer car if it was out of warranty and met the viscosity requirements.

SL is just fine for your engine. It "could" shorten the life of the catalytic converter, IDK by how much and I'm not sure it's even something to be concerned about.

How does M1HM compare to PHM? I am using PHM in my trucks engine and it runs so smooth one would think the engine is NOT running at all!
12.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
How does M1HM compare to PHM? I am using PHM in my trucks engine and it runs so smooth one would think the engine is NOT running at all!
12.gif

I'll assume you're talking about the Pennzoil Platinum high mileage since the conventional Pennzoil high mileage isn't in the same category as Mobil 1 High Mileage...

Either way the PPHM is API SN/GF5 while Mobil 1 is API SL, so right away we know that the Mobil 1 HM has the higher allowable zddp but that doesn't really mean a lot I'm confident that Pennzoil is using top anti wear additives in their flagship products carrying the Platinum name so the biggest difference is that the Mobil 1 HM isn't warranty approved for new vehicles.

Also the Mobil 1 HM 10w40 meets API SN further proving that it's perfectly fine for new cars except for the cat issue.

12.gif

I've used both in 10W40 and in my experience they're the best oils I've ever used. Plus they're both cheap and always available everywhere. I have a jug of PHM and may clean out AZ's stock of $2 M1.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
12.gif

I'll assume you're talking about the Pennzoil Platinum high mileage since the conventional Pennzoil high mileage isn't in the same category as Mobil 1 High Mileage...

No, I'm referring to conventional Pennzoil High Mileage 5W30 oil. And, you're correct about it not being in the same category as M1HM oil......It's above it!
27.gif
28.gif

12.gif

No, I'm referring to conventional Pennzoil High Mileage 5W30 oil. And, you're correct about it not being in the same category as M1HM oil......It's above it!
27.gif
28.gif

In what way?

Originally Posted By: tig1
12.gif

27.gif
28.gif

In what way?

From the research I have done on HM oils I was reading about more mechanics and ordinary people that like PHM for its additive package. Sure, M1HM is a full synthetic oil that will probably last 2 times longer than PHM, but it's the additive package in PHM that seems to make it somewhat better. Now, these facts are based on just a few articles and responses I read from mostly BITOG members. Some are from ASE certified mechanics.
Tig1, if you could please point me in the direction of scientific research of these 2 HM oils I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

BlueOvalFitter said:
12.gif

In what way?

From the research I have done on HM oils I was reading about more mechanics and ordinary people that like PHM for its additive package. Sure, M1HM is a full synthetic oil that will probably last 2 times longer than PHM, but it's the additive package in PHM that seems to make it somewhat better. Now, these facts are based on just a few articles and responses I read from mostly BITOG members. Some are from ASE certified mechanics.
Tig1, if you could please point me in the direction of scientific research of these 2 HM oils I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Since additive packages and base oils are not generally public information, how do you know one oil is superior to another, if that's your way of judging?

Quote:
With a boosted level of seal conditioner to protect engine seals in all vehicles because over time, rubber seals can harden or shrink, resulting in oil leaks.

And if you’re searching for the best high mileage motor oil, you can rest assured that the Mobil 1™ family of motor oils offers unsurpassed wear protection – a claim supported by the industry-accepted Sequence IVA engine wear test.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is part of our line of advanced full synthetic motor oils using the latest in additive and base oil technologies.

Since additive packages and base oils are not generally public information, how do you know one oil is superior to another, if that's your way of judging?

Tig1, I don't know this information, nor have I ever said I do. I can only go by what I read and that certain people/engineers have done tests to determine some findings.
I asked you nicely to point me in the correct direction as to where I can get such findings on the comparison of M1HM VS PHM. But, being the M1 fanboy you are (I base you being a fanboy by ALL of your support threads about M1) I can see you are going to keep up with the innuendos about M1 VS PHM, and how I have found my research on PHM being more superior than M1, a falsehood, which I am no way stating.

Tig1, I don't know this information, nor have I ever said I do. I can only go by what I read and that certain people/engineers have done tests to determine some findings.
I asked you nicely to point me in the correct direction as to where I can get such findings on the comparison of M1HM VS PHM. But, being the M1 fanboy you are (I base you being a fanboy by ALL of your support threads about M1) I can see you are going to keep up with the innuendos about M1 VS PHM, and how I have found my research on PHM being more superior than M1, a falsehood, which I am no way stating.

I was just asking if you knew info most of us don't. Also read Busters post about M1 HM. Fanboy is generally taken as some sort of slam, but in my case I comment on the quality of M1 oils, because I have just about more history using their oils than most anyone here on BITOG. I am not much into the numbers related to oils(I find that boring) I only have a long history to go by.

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddy345
M1 is the best oil. It makes my engine quite.

That's quite the statement.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Bigdaddy345
M1 is the best oil. It makes my engine quite.

That's quite the statement.

He should be quiet about making quite the statement.
grin.gif

I was just asking if you knew info most of us don't. Also read Busters post about M1 HM. Fanboy is generally taken as some sort of slam, but in my case I comment on the quality of M1 oils, because I have just about more history using their oils than most anyone here on BITOG. I am not much into the numbers related to oils(I find that boring) I only have a long history to go by.

Tig1, my apologies to you sir. After reading the afore mentioned reply of yours, I thought you were trying to run me through the mill on how I know so much about PHM's additive package VS M1's additive package. I also know, from reading your posts, that you are probably the most experienced M1 user on BITOG website.
Again, I am asking you kindly, only if you know, where can I get information on M1's HM additive package VS PHM's additive package, and any other HM oils in that case?

I'm with you Tig...I am a Mobil 1 user for over 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back