I still think Mobil 1 HM is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

The SL-rated M1, can't attest to the others. Got a '07 Impala with the 3.5L and about 120,000mi, switched it from Valvoline Maxlife blend 5w30 to Mobil 1 HM 5w30. The oil I took out had about 6000mi on it. I didn't really expect to notice anything different because the engine runs fine, but I can say this- the M1 seems to lubricate better, especially during a cold start. Any valvetrain sound I considered normal is actually less pronounced, and no more startup starvation which everyonoe hates to hear, no matter how minor. Bosch distance plus filter used before and after. I know a lot of people like Pennzoil here but I do not think you can go wrong with M1 oil. I'm just not sure it is even possible to make an oil as good with the SM or SN rating, maybe I'm wrong but I notice a difference in my car.

You won't have any startup starvation with that Bosch filter, it's made by Purolator which engineers holes into their filters for better flow
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You won't have any startup starvation with that Bosch filter, it's made by Purolator which engineers holes into their filters for better flow
grin2.gif

Lol I would like to see that. I have cut them and the standard black Bosch apart before and never seen holes....

Well I put Motorcraft in my lady's Camry and it ran a good amount quieter than the Pennzoil synthetic blend I have been running in it. Do I think Pennzoil Gold is not good?? No absolutely not. The upper valve train noise is a whole lot better than its ever been. The same is true when I switched my car from Mobil Super Synthetic to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Not a big difference but it runs a bit quieter than before. Is Mobil Super Synthetic not good oil?? No absolutely not. Just Pennzoil Ultra has a different quality to it that makes it run just a bit quieter at cold temps and warm idle.

I am going to run the Motorcraft 5w30 in the Camry from now on. I may run different oil in my Altima from time to time. But I think the difference in how a car runs with different oil in them is just based on what the whole package within that oil makes a car sound better or worse. Just a matter of finding the right combination for our cars and trucks. Some may run better/quieter on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum while others on Mobil 1 or Motorcraft and still yet for others on Amsoil or Royal Purple. I think it about finding which one is the best fit so to speak.

Yeah honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with ANY oil that you can get at say, walmart, so long as you use right weight/don't deplete its TBN/don't clog the filter.

I like Motorcraft oil too...seems to be good stuff. I used Pennzoil's cheapest stuff to top off my truck plenty of times....never had an issue. But I do think there is something to be said about a certain engine running smoothest with a certain oil.

Just curious, but why are you running an oil that doesnt meet at least SM specs for your Impala?

Ohh I don't disagree with you on that point. In fact what I wrote was meant to agree with you on that. Just my observation is that no one particular oil does not really have an advantage in running better/quieter than the others. It is dependant upon the chemistry, effects of heat/cold, and viscosity across the temperature range that decides how an oil sounds/runs in our cars and trucks.

Yeah you know what... I forgot about Castrol w titanium gold bottle. It runs just as good as the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my Altima. Here is my list of what has run the best/quietest in my car to this point.

#1 Castrol w titanium gold bottle
#2 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
#3 Sunoco Ultra
#4 Mobil Super Synthetic
#5 Quaker State Ultimate Durability
#6 Pennzoil Gold Synthetic blend
#7 Havoline Pro DS
#8 Royal Purple

The difference between #1 and #2 is extremely close in reality. The Royal Purple ran very well but it had a lot of noise in the valve train. Possible my Fram Ultra failed ?? I really doubt it but maybe that's what caused the start up valve train noise.

Last edited:
Yeah I thought about the SM rating for awhile. But it isn't exactly an improvement over SL. I don't really go by the OLM anyway.....it'll run any dexos oil for 10,000miles or more. SL or SM shouldn't matter, except maybe to my cat converter. Oh well....

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah you know what... I forgot about Castrol w titanium gold bottle. It runs just as good as the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my Altima. Here is my list of what has run the best/quietest in my car to this point.

#1 Castrol w titanium gold bottle
#2 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
#3 Sunoco Ultra
#4 Mobil Super Synthetic
#5 Quaker State Ultimate Durability
#6 Pennzoil Gold Synthetic blend
#7 Havoline Pro DS
#8 Royal Purple

The difference between #1 and #2 is extremely close in reality. The Royal Purple ran very well but it had a lot of noise in the valve train. Possible my Fram Ultra failed ?? I really doubt it but maybe that's what caused the start up valve train noise.

Did you use any scientific data collection methods, or just Butt Dyno?

Obsetvational information. In many instances in life we use our observations as a guide. Maybe not be scientific obviously. Just like when I noticed my step fathers Avalon was sounding louder than normal. It had been over 2 years since I had last drove it. I checked the oil and it was bone dry. Two quarts low. The valve train noise was an obvious symptom that all was not right. Now in terms of a circumstance not being a problem but just observed data it still can have some meaning. Doesn't mean it's the end all and be all of information. But it can be noticed and helpful.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Just curious, but why are you running an oil that doesnt meet at least SM specs for your Impala?

+1

Exactly why I haven't used Mobil 1 High Mileage in anything I have.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Originally Posted By: stower17

+1

Exactly why I haven't used Mobil 1 High Mileage in anything I have.

Lol so you guys are saying I should drain it? OK.....I used to have an 06 accord that I redlined the [censored] out of everyday....used the same oil. No problem. I already said I don't run my oil out till the OLM reaches 0%. To this day I have seen no evidence that it even matters if you use SL, SM, or SN in anything that is not direct injected. The only possible problem is the cat converter issue, and for reasons I won't go into here that is unimportant. Who wants some fresh M1 HM 5w30? free......lol

I haven't been one to put a lot of stock in one oil being quieter than another. However, without any expectations of quieter or louder, I noticed a few days after the oil change that M1HM 5w-30 made my Cruze 1.4T very smooth and quiet. This is both at startup and after warming up. Previous oil was QSUD and definitely wasn't noisy before. Same filter used every time. I used regular M1 for my winter oil run and it's very quiet too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back