I still don't trust the GM OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: calvin1
I'm still waiting to see the UOA that shows the OLM leading someone down the path of doom.

Check a UOA based on the OLM for a GM DI engine. Isn't there talk about GM needing to reprogram them?

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
As I use to say at Trailvoy - I'm always amazed that people trust the engineers to design the braking, steering and engine in their vehicles but don't trust them to say when to change the oil! LOL

Well said!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm still waiting to see the UOA that shows the OLM leading someone down the path of doom.

Check a UOA based on the OLM for a GM DI engine. Isn't there talk about GM needing to reprogram them?
Got a link? If this is true then what's the score in the game Universal Engine Hours on DI vs. Universal Engine Hours all other. In round numbers I'm guessing that's something like Very Few vs. Billions.

Manufacturer's first product using new technology causes minor teething problems, offers simple remedy, film at 11.

Got a link? If this is true then what's the score in the game Universal Engine Hours on DI vs. Universal Engine Hours all other. In round numbers I'm guessing that's something like Very Few vs. Billions.

Manufacturer's first product using new technology causes minor teething problems, offers simple remedy, film at 11.

Look in the UOA section for the DI UOA reports no need for a link. Minor teething problems to people who don't own a new tech DI engine. A major toothache to people who own them. Glad I don't own one.

Yes I believe there was another thread about this. I thought that reprogramming the OLM was putting a bandaide on another problem - which IIRC was the timing chain stretching prematurely.

Edit: Found it.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2200430&page=1

"The OLM is not defective. It is, however, being recalibrated to shorten the intervals. The ROOT cause is damage to the timing chains and tensioners due to too long of an oil change interval."

Last edited:
^^^ One example there are more. Fuel dilution is also a major issue that can lead to problems down the road. OLM was perfected for EFI, not DI. Simple reprogram will put a bandaid on it but not fix DI. The topic here is "trust the OLM", I say it depends on the application.

^^^ One example there are more. Fuel dilution is also a major issue that can lead to problems down the road. OLM was perfected for EFI, not DI. Simple reprogram will put a bandaid on it but not fix DI. The topic here is "trust the OLM", I say it depends on the application.

Regardless of if one trusts the OLM or not, we can all use reason and discernment; along with UOAs for some to help alleviate worries.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Yes I believe there was another thread about this. I thought that reprogramming the OLM was putting a bandaide on another problem - which IIRC was the timing chain stretching prematurely.

From the TSB:

Originally Posted By: TSB
Condition
On certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine, under certain driving conditions, and with extended oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave; Chevrolet Traverse; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a HFV6 engine

So it's not even all of GM's DI engines, just the LLT HFV6, and only those built in three years at that. Also, I'm betting that the ECM reflash includes a detune for some parts of some tables. Recal for the OLM is only part of this fix.

I searched for "UOA 3.6" and couldn't find any reports from someone running by the OLM and returning a bad report. Maybe it's just my search-fu isn't up to par.

It must have known I was talking about it. The Change oi message popped up last night. It let the oil go almost 8k.

I changed it today with Formula shell and a Delco filter. I have 4 cases of the Shell oil so thats in everything I own now
lol.gif

Last edited:
"The OLM is not defective. It is, however, being recalibrated to shorten the intervals. The ROOT cause is damage to the timing chains and tensioners due to too long of an oil change interval."

The root cause is really severe fuel dilution or some other reason related to DI. The interval is just fine on a port injected motor.

As stated earlier, Glad I am not part of the "early development team"!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The root cause is really severe fuel dilution or some other reason related to DI. The interval is just fine on a port injected motor.

DI has plenty of bugs to be ironed out, and I'm glad I'm not part of that "early development team" either. IMO GM took the data established for port injected engines, and carried that over to DI engines, not knowing of the problems with DI engines. So to say I don't trust the OLM IMO is an accurate statement if you own a DI engine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

DI has plenty of bugs to be ironed out, and I'm glad I'm not part of that "early development team" either. IMO GM took the data established for port injected engines, and carried that over to DI engines, not knowing of the problems with DI engines. So to say I don't trust the OLM IMO is an accurate statement if you own a DI engine.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It must have known I was talking about it. The Change oi message popped up last night. It let the oil go almost 8k.

I changed it today with Formula shell and a Delco filter. I have 4 cases of the Shell oil so thats in everything I own now
lol.gif

Well you do live in a relatively warm climate, the oil wil certainly be up to temp very quickly if it is 80F outside.

I personally would just follow the OLM or change it yearly.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Well you do live in a relatively warm climate, the oil wil certainly be up to temp very quickly if it is 80F outside.

I personally would just follow the OLM or change it yearly.
It's been really cold this year. Mid 20's overnight and 65 in the day time. I can't wait for Summer to get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back