I spend way too much time thinking about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the day i discovered this site i have been spending way too much time thinking about oil. I seem to be really researching way to much on specifics on brands of oil for my 05' focus and 04' altima se. It's crazy really! I have decided for the altima it will be 5w30 synpower in the winter and GC in the summer. For the focus i will probably swicth to MC 5w20 syn-blend or 5w20 gtx. I have 5w20 syntec in there now but will probably just use 5w20 dino/blend. This site is addictive but it's too much info. I'm burnt. I will check back periodically too see what's new. WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION ON THIS SITE.
burnout.gif

lol! I've choosen Syntec 5w-20 and plan to use it for the life of my truck. I'm sure there's better synthetics but perhaps Syntec will also improve in the future.

Or, maybe one day they'll tow my truck away with a prematurely wornout engine and I'll stand there scratching my head saying, "I should have used something else!"

Since the day i discovered this site i have been spending way too much time thinking about oil."

I've had dreams about oil since discovering this site. Disturbing?....yes, but I guess I could have worse dreams.
dunno.gif

I've dreamed of being in AZ looking for $1 synthetic oil closeouts. I've dreamed about changing oil in all my vehicles. I've even dreamed about doing maintenance on cars that I don't even have anymore. I neglected them, so I guess the dreams of working on them are my penalty for the previous neglect.

The most disturbing dreams of all involve GC & the Elves...........I still can't talk about those.

There is alot of useful info on this site but just like everything else there are too many opionions and that is what makes it difficult to decide what to use. I keep going back and forth weither i should stick with amsoil seris 3K or go with GC or go with a blend, should i change my oil every six months or one year, should i use a top dollar oil when a cheaper oil can do me just fine. Thats just oil then you have filters, airfilters. **** good site i wish i found this site earlier.

Maybe there should be a new forum for a support group for oil addicts. I find myself obsessing about oil and auto maintenance too. It really is a fun hobby. At least it is something that has some positive outcome. I mean there are a lot worse things a person could become obsessed with other than auto maintenance!

Quote:
Since the day i discovered this site i have been spending way too much time thinking about oil."
I was spending a lot of time thinking of oil before I found this site. My father worked for a Shell distributor for some time, and there were a lot of Shell products in the garage when I was younger. I have a bunch of old Shell products in my collection, from 1 quart glass bottles, to full X-100 cans, license plate toppers, to gas pump parts. I actually found the site while researching two stroke oils for racing MX, and have been hooked ever since. Hello, I am a BITOG member, and I have NO lubrication issues because of it.

I have overanalyzed my situation. I can find any name brand be it dino or synthetic and they will do the exact same thing with the exact same results. With proper maintainance my engines will be in the exact same condition if i used dino or syn. I don't care what anybody says.

If only it was manditory for everyone to get educated on simple automotive practices and a taste of BITOG this world would be a better place.

Yes, indeed you spend too much time thinking about oil. I discussed it with your wife yesterday and she agreed that you should donate your stash of GC to me. I will PM you later with the shipping instruction. I am glad that I can be of assistance in helping you to overcome this rather bizarre addition.

speedtc;

I am in the same place that you are (mentally) right now. Like you I got overloaded when I found this site. My wife is convinced I'm a nutcase and for once I agree with her.

I've bought and sold a few cars in the last 10 years (self and spouse cars)...each one I say 'this is it...need to make it last 250K miles', and get all stressed out about maintenance. Then I end up trading them in with plenty of life left.

I think that obsessing about caring for the car takes away from the fun of driving it. The people I know who really keep their cars until they're a big pile of orange dust are the ones who seem to stress out the LEAST about maintenance. They kind of 'love their cars they way they are' and hold on to them.

So my resolution for now is to just try to follow the owners' manual for my conditions, NUFINISH a couple times a year and see how it goes. My guess is that I won't be able to wear my Hondas out...if I do then I'll have earned me a new one
smile.gif

But I still like to read about oil, tricks/tips, and old car maintenance war stories.

Edit: SSDude LOL!

Being an addict in this case is a good thing i hate it when i see people that abuse or neglect their rides regardless how fancy they are. I treat my rides with love and respect with the intention on keeping the for a long time. I know chit can still happen but if its going to happen i dont want it to happen with neglect. I AM AN ADDICT.

Being an addict in this case is a good thing i hate it when i see people that abuse or neglect their rides regardless how fancy they are. I treat my rides with love and respect with the intention on keeping the for a long time. I know chit can still happen but if its going to happen i dont want it to happen with neglect. I AM AN ADDICT.

TRUDUSA2002,

I am willing to help you as well!!!

is anyone else here trying so hard to see what oil their vehicles run the best on and enjoy changing their oil so much on their vehicle that they are willing to dump perfectly good oil just to try a different one?

Matt89

NuFinish is held in very low regard at professional detailing sites, e.g. autopia and Detail city.

It's pretty abrasive ... that's how they get cars to shine in the junkard. Something like using rubbing compound.

Just thought I'd give you something else to worry about ... lol!

SSDude,

Its nice to know that im loved and have a shoulder to cry on but really i have other things to worry about but when its time to change oil on right on it. There are so many products that i want to try but im not going to dump perfectly good oil. Its nice to let it all out.

Join the club, speed. Truth is that its fun to discuss motor oil and a person could have much worse vices. On the other hand, the guy who just goes to the garage and lets someone change his oil with bulk dino at reasonable intervals is probably doing all that's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back