I see a lot of older Hyundais on the road.

Can anyone in the universe come up with ANYTHING MORE THAN HYUNDAI THREADS....

It's getting repetitive really. The thread will be closed in three pages or less.

Can anyone in the universe come up with ANYTHING MORE THAN HYUNDAI THREADS....

It's getting repetitive really. The thread will be closed in three pages or less.

Pick of the week: Hyundai thread or RT43 thread.

The only old Hyundai cars I can remember being on the road is the Tib and a weird hatchback Geo Metro-looking one. I don't see any other old Hyundais on the road to notice other than those two.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKN
I had a 1998 Hyundai Accent GSi hatchback that looked like a bubble, but it was a very dependable car. I wasn’t much of a fan of Hyundai’s designs in the late 90s early 2000s and today, and didn’t care much for the Tiburon until its last few years. They looked nice around 2007, but by then I didn’t want a 2 door and bought an Elantra with the same engine instead and that ended up being the most reliable car I’ve had so far. Very nice.

Well this is a first... a Kiyundia post that's not about a failed engine.

The most entertaining of this saga is the years where they blatantly tried to make their, um, "vehicles" look like high end brands. They had models that looked like tiny little Mercedes, Lexus, Jag's, etc.

Older Hyundais and Kias were heavily Mitsubishi or Mazda based. Only things HyunKia made their own was the body, with Italdesign’s help.

Daewoo depended heavily on GM Opel/Holden and Isuzu/Suzuki for help.

There's not a whole lot of older Hyundai's around here, just newer say 10 years or less... Guess rust got them all.

Now Subaru's, yea tons of older ones running about. I'm talking mid 90's to early 2000's. Guess they were more loved than the Hyundai's.

I'll play. Always thought the early 2000s Hundy Elantra GTs had good lines and proportions. 2.0 16V. Still see some around. Apologies to CKN.
hundy gt.jpg

My son had a 2006 Tiburon 2.0 4 cylinder. Bought it with about 70,000 miles on it. I drove it a little bit. The things that stuck out to me were how very low the car sat, how incredibly slow it was to get up to speed, and how hard it rode. It cornered like a go-kart and got great mileage. It burned some oil and it creaked a lot. Had great body lines and the interior was very nicely done. At about 135,000 miles it meet it's demise. My son lightly rear ended another car. The front end folded up as it is designed to do and the air bags went off. After getting it out of impound I was able to drive it to the wrecking yard. Overall a very good car.

Don

I'll play. Always thought the early 2000s Hundy Elantra GTs had good lines and proportions. 2.0 16V. Still see some around. Apologies to CKN.

Everytime I see one of those, I know the driver is going to speed in front of me to cut me off and slam on their brakes for a right turn.

I had the black 2012 Hyundai accent with 9,000 original miles and it took me to just sort of 200,000 miles in 2 years. It wasn't a bad car at all. The parts were hard to find and always had to be ordered and that little 1.6 engine only held like a thimble's worth of oil more like 3.4 quarts. I just changed the oil every other weekend with 5W-30 synthetic. It definitely had more headspace than my Honda Civic. In the last 10 years their quality is getting better and they're styling is probably one of the best I've seen in a moderately priced car. If you're looking to trade or sell their resale value is horrible, but if you're going to drive it a long time and take care of it and maintenance it like you should there's no reason why you can't get at least 200,000 miles out of those cars

2000 Elantra
2003 Sonata V6
2005 Elantra
2007 Sonata 4 cyl.
Other than tires and brakes the only repair was a failed window motor in the 2000 that was covered by warranty.
But I did have two friends that had engine failures. Both 2.4.

I keep seeing a lot of older 90s era Hyundais on the road. Saw a Tiburon today (4cyl model I’m guessing since it was a single exhaust). I always liked the Tiburon GTs (V6 model).

What were those cars like? Anyone here ever have one?
I see quite a few. Hopefully some of them weren’t stolen! H/K still has some work to do.

I've owned an Accent, two Elantras, an Optima, a Santa Fe Sport, and now the Forte. Ranging in year from 2001-2021. The most serious repair any needed was an alternator on one of the Elantras at about 130k. Other than that it was a couple of sets of struts, a valve cover gasket, and a couple of 02 sensors. Not foolproof cars but I think they were decent enough and much more reliable than some other brands I've owned. I still see early 2000's Hyundai cars around with some frequency. 90's is rare to see but I think their sales volumes were much lower during that time frame also.

Back