I screwed up my oil change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished draining, replaced filter, and proceeded to refill. Takes 4.5 qts. for my VQ35. As I reached for the final quart, of which I would pour in half, it was empty! So I already had 5 quarts in. Just spaced it off while on auto pilot I guess.

So I set about debating with myself whether to, and how to correct the situation. Being anal like most of you (you are reading this website), I decided to drain some out. I held a bottle (S2K) up to the drain hole and caught most of it while spilling some, then spilled a little more getting the plug back into the hole. Filled the bottle up to about 3/4, then put most of that back in after guessing at the spillage. Checking the dipstick later showed the level to be almost perfect. Not much hurt but my pride.

What did surprise me was how dark the 'fresh oil' was coming out. I assume it was scrubbing the residue out of the bottom of the pan, but it surprised me never-the-less. When I checked the dipstick later, the oil looked very good. I assume because the residue was now mixed in over the whole 4.5 qts.

Thought some of you might appreciate the story, also wondering how many think I just created more mess than I needed to.

Mike

Did you look at the level on the stick with the whole 5 quarts in it (and after running it to fill the filter)? Your manual may allow for a certain amount of overfill.

Running 5 qts would have hurt nothing. What do you consider perfect level on the dipstick? (good question for a new thread!
smile.gif
) I think just at or 1mm over max line is perfection.

As for the dark oil, yes you flushed some oil galleys.

Same here, I add 1/2 quart to what the owners manual says in any of my cars,truck and boat.

That extra pint of oil would work a lot better in the engine than sitting around waiting for the next oil change. And you could increase the OCI by 11%...

quote:

My Accord lists 4.5 Qt capacity. However, 5 qts fills it to the top of the dipstick.

Same with my Dakota. The manual calls for 4 quarts, but if I use 4.5, the oil is right on the "full" mark on the dipstick

If you take the drain plug to the very last thread or two, a fast dribble usually occurs. Mine takes a few minutes to accumulate a half-quart. Patience sure beats cleaning the mess spilled oil makes.

Dude, I've screwed up so many oil changes, and other car repairs for that matter, that I'm embarrassed to admit it.

In fact, my first oil change was a bigger disaster. I was sixteen years-old and my dad told me how to change it. I followed his instructions to the letter: I filled up the car with oil until it reached the top.

I now know that a 1977 Honda Civic CVCC does NOT hold 20 quarts of oil!

DOH!

My most screwed up oil change was stripping the pan--yes the pan. Nowadays I believe they make it so the plug will strip first. Then to make things worse I installed a self tapping plug and got it crooked enough for a steady drip, drip, drip...

And who hasn't overshot the drain pan? You won't be able to forget that, as there's a reminder left on your driveway for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back