I saw the new Mobil1 5w30 bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw the new mobil1 5w30 bottle at my Costco. Yep, says meets Honda HTO-06. Also meets ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5. Regarding the ACEA, previously the bottle only said A1/B1. Can someone please freshen my memory as to what the A5/B5 means?

Quote:
I recently saw the new mobil1 5w30 bottle at my Costco. Yep, says meets Honda HTO-06. Also meets ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5. Regarding the ACEA, previously the bottle only said A1/B1. Can someone please freshen my memory as to what the A5/B5 means?
A5 is the low HTHS extended drain spec in Europe for gas engines. B5 is the low HTHS extended drain spec in Europe for diesel engines.

I have been seeing these bottles for about a month or better now at our dealership. We get oil direct from the distributor, though. Honda made a big effort to get the word out in "Service News" about the new specs.

Need to clarify here at those specs are self-reported. For example, ST Synth "A3", DuraBlend "A3", Delo 15w-40 "A3". The mfg suggests their product ~could~ pass the test. Now, I think it's great news there is an "A5" on plain Mobil 1. For guys who are doing thinner oil, "A5" is a great spec and rare too. iirc, it exceeds SM....in general. SM is about limiting add levels, likely, not an issue for "A5", a performance spec.

Quote:
SM is about limiting add levels, likely, not an issue for "A5", a performance spec.
What a bunch of baloney. The only thing limited in SM is the Sulfur for the 0w-5w-10w grades...and there are 4 severe engine test in addition to the numerous bench tests. Further, there's an Aftermarket Audit Program.

Status
Not open for further replies.