I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny
I like it, "the steel cage section".

I think it would work. Somebody starts bashing....another join...move em to the "steel cage"
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I will add one other comment to what tig1 has said. Trust me, I know after spending over 23 years in the lubricants business that folks have their favorite brand of oil for whatever reason they believe in. We all have favorites and we all have the brands we do not like for whatever reason. But what really bothers me is what I call "thread hijacking" and "personal insults", and I don't care who thinks who started it, it's still hijacking and personal insults.

Example: Someone started a thread about why Pennzoil Platinum was so popular, and within just a few post all [censored] broke loose about how good or lousy Mobil 1 is, all about being dishonest, not believing what people see or witness, then an onslaught of insults between two particular members. To me that is uncalled for and insulting to the rest of us.

I can tell you if I owned this site the first insult would earn you a stern warning, the second insult would get you banned. I don't care if it is the internet, no one has earned the right to insult another. I have not looked at them in a while, but I believe you have to agree to a set of rules when you sign up to join this site. Either abide by the rules, or leave. I am one of the original members of BITOG and have been proud to be a member, but if the personal insults continue, I too will be GONE.

Enough said.

As one of the people you are referring to above, I will offer some comments.

Unsubstantiated claims should be banned.

False and libelous accusations that persons (like myself) are associated with ExxonMobil or any other corporation should be banned unless evidence can be provided.

Ridiculous claims that large oil companies will send out a hit-man to snuff you out if you sue them regarding an extended OCI warranty, should be banned.

Tirades against large corporations (including Walmart) should be banned, since they have nothing to do with this forum, even thought it appears that some people make their buying decisions based on that.

I am sorry, but I did not hijack that thread. Any discussion of "why" one oil is preferred over other oils is naturally going to get into discussion of what competitive alternatives are available. However, I do agree that the nature of that discussion deteriorated rapidly, and was very unfortunate.

So long as the moderators permit lies to be posted, then this forum will deteriorate, regardless of who gets booted and who stays.

Mark888: I don't think anyone is referring to any specific threads. Just a general consensus. But they used that as an example because it was recent.

Last edited:
I agree with the people who mentioned the growth factor. I haven't even been a member that long and have noticed changes. You just have to know where to look and who's advice to take. If you look in the right places, there is still great info on this site.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I don't see how you can discuss oil w/o discussing brands. many new people are trying to decide between X and Y brands and just want a little insight.
everyone always has the option to ignore threads they don't find informative.
and as was said, members leave. well, people have lives, they move on, they lose interest. get used to it. really, there is only SO much you can really say about motor oil that hasn't aready been said.

I agree totally.

I don't think the board has gone downhill that much. It has grown a lot in size.

With all the advertising hoopla as of late (Valvoline 4 times better, Edge 8 times better etc.), advertising and brands will inevitably be discussed here.

And whether the people who will defend xxxxx 1 to the death like it or not, I think we've hashed out the facts very nicely actually.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
And now what to do about the newbies that come in and ask about specific brands???

See, this is where I don't understand Bryan's issue.

From what I see on a daily basis, when some one comes here as a newbie and asks whether Castrol or Pennzoil would be better for their vehicle, nearly everytime someone asks what the driving conditions are and that any SM/GF-4 oil will protect their engine equally as long as driving conditions are taken into account.

If anything, people here (even people with hardly any post count) have become more aware that conventional oil has almost become a commodity at this point, and driving conditions and vehicle specific requirements are more important then brand loyalty.

Although I know many people are brand loyal for various reasons (usually based on results they've had in the past), and that is perfectly alright and relevant information here, IMO.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My very first post was followed up by a warning from OVERK1LL that I would be swarmed for endorsing M1.

It is not bashing to cite relevant information that Mobil 1 may not be meeting minimum spec.

Actually Bryan, after reading a few of the recent locked threads (and posts by a "certain member"), I see where you're coming from.

It's like we're reliving the past........and the past again.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back