I remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a New commer her, but as I see it the problem is the oil bashing that takes place here. My very first post was followed up by a warning from OVERK1LL that I would be swarmed for endorsing M1. The thread was about M1 bashing. OVERK1LL was right.
I don't bring tech. knowledge to BITOG, only 45 years of experience. Many here don't want to here that, but many have let me know they do appreciate what I have learned over the years.
You never here me bash another oil and the way it performs for you guys. But I am amazed at the criticism and harsh tone many of you have against XM and their products. As I stated once" it's only oil guys".

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...640#Post1330640

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Only a New commer her, but as I see it the problem is the oil bashing that takes place here. My very first post was followed up by a warning from OVERK1LL that I would be swarmed for endorsing M1. The thread was about M1 bashing. OVERK1LL was right.
I don't bring tech. knowledge to BITOG, only 45 years of experience. Many here don't want to here that, but many have let me know they do appreciate what I have learned over the years.
You never here me bash another oil and the way it performs for you guys. But I am amazed at the criticism and harsh tone many of you have against XM and their products. As I stated once" it's only oil guys".

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...640#Post1330640

I will add one other comment to what tig1 has said. Trust me, I know after spending over 23 years in the lubricants business that folks have their favorite brand of oil for whatever reason they believe in. We all have favorites and we all have the brands we do not like for whatever reason. But what really bothers me is what I call "thread hijacking" and "personal insults", and I don't care who thinks who started it, it's still hijacking and personal insults.

Example: Someone started a thread about why Pennzoil Platinum was so popular, and within just a few post all [censored] broke loose about how good or lousy Mobil 1 is, all about being dishonest, not believing what people see or witness, then an onslaught of insults between two particular members. To me that is uncalled for and insulting to the rest of us.

I can tell you if I owned this site the first insult would earn you a stern warning, the second insult would get you banned. I don't care if it is the internet, no one has earned the right to insult another. I have not looked at them in a while, but I believe you have to agree to a set of rules when you sign up to join this site. Either abide by the rules, or leave. I am one of the original members of BITOG and have been proud to be a member, but if the personal insults continue, I too will be GONE.

Enough said.

Only a New commer her, but as I see it the problem is the oil bashing that takes place here..

+1 well with the exception of Royal Purple....
LOL.gif
j/k

Johnny------

Very well said and I echo your thoughts and concerns. Why have a word censor in place when members can have "insult matching" and get away with it?

Thank you Johnny, I agree. We have also lost members who were interested in expanding their knowledge on motor oil, and wanted to contribute to the discussions due to post-envy members who are quick to discount and discredit opinions instead of engaging in a discussion. It says a lot about the forum when new members cautiously post questions, and are apologetic for asking a question only to be shot down by a short-time member with thousands of posts.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Only a New commer her, but as I see it the problem is the oil bashing that takes place here..

+1 well with the exception of Royal Purple....
LOL.gif
j/k

We are two lost souls adrift in a sea of persecution.

Bryanccfshr: Well said.

Yeah, it's the, "MY brand uber alles" that drives me nuts. Some people can't seem to get past the fact that people like something they don't. More than that, they have embark on a "Crusade" to bash that brand and that person with snide remarks, insults and half truths. We've got a higher percentage of folks now whose self-worth seems to be tied up in the band of oil they promote and they'll play every dirty trick they can. It's easy to do because you don't have to have the guts to actually face that person. If we were sitting around a table having these discussions, things would be more civilized because if it wasn't, some people would be leaving the table on a stretcher and others in the back of a squad car.

For me, it's not that these things exist... they exist everywhere so we have to endure to a certain degree... but it's the frequency and severity that's alarming.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
At times, this board seems to read like a infomercial for Auto-Rx and Amsoil.

People are quick to say stuff like this, but it's really not so true. Maybe you can PM me some of the links to the Amsoil infomercials that have been posted, I can learn something. (PS don't send me Lazaro's posts
grin2.gif
)

Actually I agree with Johnny. The attacking garbage needs to stop.

Only a handful of people on this board are really "experts".- Mola, bruce, Tom etc. They have provided a lot of info over the years that is very valuable. JAG is always finding good technical articles.

I post marketing/technical stuff from all the companies. It's an oil forum so anything relating to the subject is fair game IMO. All too often it does become a [censored] match between brands etc. Or short vs long drains etc. Different opinions conflicting all the time.

Other sections of this website are still great IMO. I'm not sure how much more technical info can be posted to be honest but it would be nice to see a shift back towards the way it once was.

Maybe the site has reached it's limit?

I think everyone has a right to their opinion. But there are certain posters here that seem to be on a jihad against certain brands based more on perception and half-truths of advertising than actual technical information...

I've been a member here since very early on, following some of the crowd from Edmunds.com.

In the early days, the % of "experts" to regular members was high; there weren't that many people here, so the expert opinion was easier to hear and share.

As the board grew, and the board's influence expanded around the web, it became harder to hear the expert opinion. After awhile, it all becomes white noise. That annoyed some people and they left the forum, further reducing the voice of the expert.

I see no direct connection between the increase in marketing activity and the loss of the established expert voice/opinion. Fact is these forums cost money to run and demanding someone pay for that out of their pocket so a small number of people can have an e-oasis to discuss their personal interests is self-serving.

If you want a place to talk about motor oil apart from any promotional or marketing activity, then create your own forum and be the master of your little motor oil domain.

Final point - As for the expert members vs. the opinionated members. BITOG has ALWAYS been biased towards the larger group. There have never been that many experts here divulging factual information. In the past 7 years I can think of less than 10 members who I felt were experts in this field. This place isn't the attraction to industry experts you think it is. Some of them have been run off by the masses, so don't sit there and say you lament the lack of technical expertise at BITOG. Chances are you had a hand in chasing off some of the very people you worship.

I suspect the posts have become trivial because the subject has become trivial. When you can spend $x for a 5K OCI or $2x for a 10K OCI, and neither of the costs are huge, nor does it particularly effect longevity, then the choice, and all the elements related, doesn't really matter.

I get a kick out of the 3,4, and 5K UOAs on synthetic oils and the people who go ape over 20PPM iron. That pretty much proves that many so called experts don't have a clue.

I've learned more from 1 Doug Hillary post than all the M1 bashing those type of people do.

I have expressed an opinion similar to Bryan's to the moderators here. I think we have a tendency to form ideas of "best practice" and stick with it until some new "best practice" convinces us to follow it. There is only so much data to nit-pick at a single time. These ideas (close mindedness?) tend to create bickering and lead to some of the junk that goes on around here, it's human nature. I do believe the board allows a little too much of this but it is only my opinion, they can moderate as they like.

I don't think this forum is "run" by the sponsors. I think a few of the sponsors are the only active representation so you hear their side more than anything else. I think if any manufacturer rep of a credible company participated here many would drink their kool-aid too.
On the flip side how many here are adamant about board sponsors with little to no participation? I'd bet Shaffer's makes very few sales as as result of donating to this forum. What about using only Lubrizol containing products? How come major oil manuf. are will to toss a little $$ at the board but not have a rep participate? What would it take to attract them and take this board to a new level? Would that be beneficial?

Why not just have an "off topic" or "political" section (or similar title) where all the bashing/insulting/name calling/hair pulling/scratching/biting/sneering and otherwise rude behavior can take place? Make it viewable only to those people logged in so nobody lurking by can see it? That way moderators have a place to move threads and members can tell other members to "please move this to the "steel cage" section. I have seen other forums do this successfully. Keeps the garbage in the can so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back