I really want to get a subaru but need convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy, buy love. Buy, buy happiness. Your mechanic will suffer from loneliness. I think he's going to cry cry. Buy, buy baby buy buy.

Buy, buy a Subaru, they are good vehicles. AWD is a blast on curvy roads. You don't need to live in a bad weather area to appreciate extra traction.

Originally Posted By: Hounds

To be serious, I, too, admire the brand. My concern is, except for the WRX, the other models feel underpowered, even the F6 Outback. Also, if you don't have a recurrent need for FWD, what is definitely an asset in inclement weather becomes unnecessary weight and complexity that needs to be maintained.

You obviously have not driven the 2.0 Forester XT..No comparable SUV comes close.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
There are plenty of commercials about Subaru safety, one of my buddies was driving this 2011 Subaru Tribeca last summer when he got broadsided by a taxi cab going 40mph that ran a stop sign. The impact sheared the rear wheel off literally sending it through the air landing on the hood of a vehicle on the opposite side of the intersection. The car was totaled, but the structure of this car was impressive and very well built with almost zero intrusion to the passenger compartment. He walked away without a scratch. His family now all has Subaru cars to drive after this. I was always on the fence on whether or not I would buy one, but I have added Subaru's to my list when its time to replace a car. When its time to replace the Odyssey, I plan to take a serious look at the new Subaru Ascent SUV.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JD4Cg33yR8Q

laugh.gif

How'd you like to buy one of these Subies used? no thanks...all these AWD systems are slop after 80k.

Wish subaru would borrow or poach some of porche older designs and see if they could implement them. Would be cool to see an air-cooled front engine awd drive or a more potent flat-6.

Originally Posted By: DaRider34
Wish subaru would borrow or poach some of porche older designs and see if they could implement them. Would be cool to see an air-cooled front engine awd drive or a more potent flat-6.

Wait subru has a 2.0 250HP 4cyl. No way to have an air cooled engine more than 100 hp or so.

My experience with Subaru is this. My two nephews have/had one. They both had to have head gaskets replaced and one had to have the engine replaced. Not sure of the mileage but I'm pretty sure it was under 150k miles on them. They both take it to the dealer for oil changes. One has had to have his transmission replaced as well and it is a manual. It seems they have had nothing but issues and the one still has his only because he can't afford to get another vehicle right now and the other got rid of his.

I also have a friend that has a 2005 Forester and had to have the head gaskets and head work done on his at 80k. He to is picky on service.

Our old pastor had a 2003 Forester and had to replace the rear wheel bearings on it three times and it had 130k before he got rid of it.

Again, this is just what little knowledge I have had with people I know that have owned them.

Also want to point out, a garage I use to go to that was family owned and operated for over 50yrs and just closed because they wanted to retire. When I asked them what they thought was one of the most expensive and hard to work on vehicles they all said stay away from Subaru.

Again, just my $1 input.

Originally Posted By: Al

Wait subru has a 2.0 250HP 4cyl. No way to have an air cooled engine more than 100 hp or so.

the Porsche 993 begs to differ

the Porsche 993 begs to differ

Wow..my bad
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Subarooooooooos suck.

Well that was intellectually stimulating
smirk.gif

Last edited:
We have 5 or maybe 6 Subarus at work (well did have) all 16's and 17's, and they have been so problematic we already traded two off at 30k miles when we originally planned to keep them for 100k. These are dealer maintained Foresters bought brand new. We are keeping one they accidentally gave us an extended warranty on, but the others won't be around much longer.

Most concerning is not one but 3 of the driver's doors have ripped right off the flimsy frame and hinge work. Clearly a design flaw but they refuse to cover it under warranty and it's been around 2500 bucks a pop. Unusual for a Japanese brand, but they have had electrical issues galore as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back