I put mobil 1 in and it is quiet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i have always had extra noise with mobil1. (but i never thought it was not protecting my engines) and i have told alot of people about it.
So i must also tell people that i put mobil1 10w30sm (not ep) in my 2001 impala with 3800 engine and i now think it is SUPER QUIET !

The sm mobil 1 i got did not look like mobil 1 when i poured it. and it did not act like mobil 1 in the funnel. looked acted and stuck to the funnel like dino. anyone else notice anyhting ?

Well, was the M1 that you used to use that gave you the noise the same as the new stuff you just poured in? You said this newer quieter M1 was 10w-30 SM, but what have you been using in the past? IIRC, the SM M1 is thicker than SL, across the board. Especially the 5w-30, which is in the 11 cSt range. The 10w-30 isn't as thick as the 5w, but it is thicker than SL, which could have something to do with it. I know my Grand Am 3400 V6 ran only 1 5K OCI on M1 SL 5w-30 and I was not thrilled with how loud my engine was, so maybe the SM stuff is better about the noise issue...
dunno.gif

Bighead, this is the first i have used the sm mobil 1. the sl was the stuff that was noisey in my 6.0 and 5.3 gm engines as well as my sister in laws olds with 3.4 engine. in 5 and 10w30.
The SM oil just seems different to me. looks different to. and the way it sticks in the funnel is like dino oil.

That kinda goes along with what I was thinking. Looks (and sounds) like the newer SM is better about the noise issue. Lots of folks have said they use M1 and it's quiet...perhaps they use SM and the ones who thought it made their engines noisy used SL. It might have something to do with a change in add pack as well. If I can catch some M1 on sale I might give it another try and see if the SM works better in my car. One things for sure though, YOU are a happy camper
grin.gif

cheers.gif

Probably because M1 causing more noise is hogwash. People hear M1 makes engines noisy, so they probably just start paying more attention to the sound of their engine, and it "seems" noisy. And so people switch to Brand X oil and the noise is gone! Because no one has complained about noise with that oil. Just my opinion, because i have used M1 in numerous vehicles and never ever had an increase in noise vs another brand.

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
Probably because M1 causing more noise is hogwash. People hear M1 makes engines noisy, so they probably just start paying more attention to the sound of their engine, and it "seems" noisy. And so people switch to Brand X oil and the noise is gone! Because no one has complained about noise with that oil. Just my opinion, because i have used M1 in numerous vehicles and never ever had an increase in noise vs another brand.

Not hogwash. i have used the sl in other engines that makes them noisey.put sl M1 in a gm 6.0L engine and it only takes minutes.
I may have to try some SM M1 in my 2500hd and see if it ticks or not.
But the newer sm formula sure looks different to my eyes. I have also seen some low iron numbers with the SM stuff in the uoa section. makes me wonder?

I was told here at BITOG that M1 10w30 would make my Volvo B230F noisy. It didn't. I just looked at the 5qt bottle and I see that it is SM.

Well at least in certain vehicles Mobil 1 does make certain engines noisier. Tried it in my minivan with the 3.0 liter V6 and I couldn't believe how noisey the engine and this was long before I came across this board , I couldn't wait for my next OCI so i could go back to dino and it quited right back down , just makes the valvetrain noise a lot more noticeable.

If anything, Mobil 1 made my 2004 CR-V's valves quieter. I was surprised, since so many folks (including other CR-V owners) say it makes them noisy. This must be the "new" Mobil 1 since I changed it about a month ago.

I been swapping the contents of the Syntec and M1 at all the stores I shop at. Its about time someone noticed.

I found your funnel observation most telling. It has to do with polarity of the oil - "clingability". If what you observed was true and their isn't a big viscosity difference, it implies that the SM M1 is more polar than SL M1 was. I wouldn't be surprised if oil polarity and engine noise were related. Not trying to make a big deal out of noise, just trying to explain the observations for the fun of it.

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
No engine oil can make any significant difference in noise level. It is all in your head.

An oil which is thicker will slightly subdue the engine's vibrations though, making it seem like the engine is smoother and quieter.

Wonder if this has anything akin to what Terry said or referred to about why you think M1 has such high iron levels. He believed that the stuff just wasn't "all that" for valve wear. Now this was the non-EP formula. He did say the EP was a whole lot better.

If you have poured alot of the SL through a plastic funnel you know what i am talking about. the new stuff really clings to the funnel. and also after 300 miles it has not had that slight browning that i am used to. i don't know ??
rolleyes.gif

Maybe someone else that had some noise in the past or high iron numbers is willing to give the newer stuff a shot ?
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back