I presume this oil is OK to use in a wet clutch motorcycle

Let us know if your bike gets hard to shift.
^^^This^^^ If using it for a full change, as 5w40 goes away pretty quick, 0w40 may go away quicker yet.

However the OP said "to top off". I would not hesitate using it for that.

Last edited:
As a submitter how did you test the performance of the oil???

For JASO compliance, by following the standard methods specified by JALOS, or having an outside lab do the same when necessary.

For other requirements, bench top testing, dyno testing, etc. It depended on the product and what we were trying to understand about it specifically, or what the sales team might've wanted to highlight.

For JASO compliance, by following the standard methods specified by JALOS, or having an outside lab do the same when necessary.

For other requirements, bench top testing, dyno testing, etc. It depended on the product and what we were trying to understand about it specifically, or what the sales team might've wanted to highlight.

Do any of the standard methods specified by JALOS involve actual testing the oil in a real motorcycle clutch???

The dynamic, static, and stop time index friction tests are done on a bench top clutch apparatus. So it isn't installed in a motorcycle but it does use real world plates from a wet clutch.

Before I moved on from that job, JALOS was supposedly trying to update that test to improve it, but rumor was they were having trouble standardizing a new set of plates for 2016. I'm not sure what the status is for the 2021 update to the JASO standard.

Does the label meet the requirements for your bike? If you really want to run it, let us know how it goes. Like others, I have run HD oils in my wet clutch motorcycles and HD oil is certainly not designed for motorcycles, but I found one that says JASO MA/MA2 (among other things) so I know it's OK for my bikes.

I doubt you can just buy the JASO registration without showing appropriate test data showing that the it meets the JASO test requirements. If anyone could do that then you really don't know if the oil was ever tested to JASO test standards or not.

Shell Rotella may not even formally registered, because their oil jugs don't have the official registration logo like the JASO documentation says it should have if registered as meeting JASO specs. Can't recall if it's a requirement of a recommendation to put the JASO logo on the oil bottles - would have to dig up the documentation. Shell probably just tested the oil against the JASO standards and indicate on the oil jugs that it "meets or exceeds" JASO specs. You'd have to look in the JASO registration list to verify is they formally registered or not.
Shell Rotella oils are not registered but Shell claims compliance with the requirements. I don't think the use of the mark is required but it can be used if the oil is registered. They specify mark size and you need to include the oil's registration number. We also had to submit labels for their approval. As indicated earlier, they didn't like any words that suggested that the oil was certified or approved.

Care to share what it is? I’m curious.
Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 and T6 15w-40 (and 5w-40). (Rotella T5 labels do not have the MA/MA2 spec language, only T4 and T6.) Most people have good experience with these oils in wet clutch bikes, but not everyone. Note that the labels do not say "JASO MA/MA2 approved", they say "Meets the performance requirements of..." as discussed in post #28 above. I mention this because some people argue over "approved" vs "meets specs." Here are snippets from the labels:

Attachments

• T4 JASO MA-MA2.jpg
    T4 JASO MA-MA2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 8
  • T6 JASO MA-MA2.jpg
    T6 JASO MA-MA2.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here in Canada, Amsoil motorcycle oil is actually less expensive than other synthetic motorcycle oils such as Mobil 1 4t, Castrol Power 1 4t, Motul 7100, etc. by a few bucks a litre. Compared pricing and brand options, and recently bought some Amsoil for my bike.
For less cost I wanted to try Rotella T6 15w-40, but T6 does not seem to be available in that grade in Canada.

Back