I picked up an Acer notebook tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say you did pretty alright, nothing earth shatteringly amazing but you got a better than fair deal on it.

I bought a top line Acer when they went to the new design in August and I am very happy with it. I laugh at all the Mac users who paid nearly $1200 for something that's not capable of what my $1200 Acer is.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
I would say you did pretty alright, nothing earth shatteringly amazing but you got a better than fair deal on it.

I bought a top line Acer when they went to the new design in August and I am very happy with it. I laugh at all the Mac users who paid nearly $1200 for something that's not capable of what my $1200 Acer is.

The Acer is a fine notebook but unfortunately saddled with Windows.

As for us Mac Guys I'll take my MAC and laugh at your Windows for personal use. I have had Zero Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Zero Spyware (although I have read they have a token little bit now) and only run a self contained AV program that I have to run manually once in a while (never found a thing, thank you) sapping 0 resources on all other occasions. I used to fix PC's, Make them, worked for Gateway, and NEVER again for my main home computer. I have a wonder Original Mac Mini that is by all accounts slow and outdated and it is still FABULOUS. We still fork out larger sums of money to get a computer because we know it will still be fabulous and trouble-free in a few years.

Sure there is always the odd hardware failure, but reloading the OS is for upgrading the OS from 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5. Funny thing is when OSX is revised it gets faster on the current hardware than the previous OS was and stays that way. Something MS always claimed but run Win XP on a 95 machine and tell me it actually is quicker. Not on your life. Besides the iLife suite is Awesome and never seen anything on the windows side to touch it even remotely. A complete package.

Last edited:
I have a cheap Acer laptop running Ubuntu. Good enough for my needs. Only complaints are the shell and keyboard feels tacky and brittle. But the lcd monitor is pretty good.

good deal. i considered going this route, but instead went with the Lenovo R61 w/ XP as I didn't want to deal with Vista. But for the difference in price, Acer was well worth considering.

Acers are good computers for their cost and the only thing I ever recommend when getting one is to upgrade the RAM to at least 2 gigs. I've had very few come in with hardware issues, and that cannot be said for the Dells, Gateways, or HP/Compaqs that come in.

Apple computers are only good for their operating system and software. The hardware is on the low side for the double/triple price.

I bought an Acer from Walmart on a Friday morning sale for $349.00. It works great as a general purpose laptop. I wasn't expecting much for $349, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I upgraded to 2GB RAM for $40, so everything for less than $400.

Originally Posted By: ewetho

The Acer is a fine notebook but unfortunately saddled with Windows.

I dunno. I like being able to run 95% of the software on the market. I like being able to upgrade my computers with off the shelf parts as needed. I don't do anything that I need Mac OS to run, or Mac OS would run better for me. I will admit the MacBook Pro is a hot looking unit.

I have never had virus or spyware problems, as most virus and spyware problems are user related and not software related. I do have to leave Kaspersky running in the background but it is nothing awful like Norton and has no significant performance hit.

I will admit that it irritated me when I got a Vista machine that I basically had to disable everything, but now I have a fairly easy to use, stable, quick (I run in Classic mode so the extra [censored] is disabled) operating system on a computer for all intents and purposes I got a good deal on and is more than capable of any task I have thrown at it. I never imagined that I would have a portable computer that for regular usage had five hours of battery life, or be capable of playing Flight Simulator X with all the settings turned up, or playing out HD-DVD (RIP, I only got it because it wasn't any cheaper without) out through HDMI to a TV.

I understand the benefits of Macs, and for content creation like audio and video production they do have advantages of a lot of software support, but dollar for dollar I will take twice as much PC over half as much Mac, even if that makes me a square.

I was a Dell/HP on-site warranty technician (Unisys contractor) and I regularly build and spec out computers for friends and family and every single one have them have been amazed by what I provided them.

The downfall of the PC platform is not the platform itself but how the manufacturers and marketers present it. If they got their act together and kept it together in the late 90s instead of dropping the ball, Apple would never have made the rise they did.

The downfall of the PC platform is not the platform itself but how the manufacturers and marketers present it. If they got their act together and kept it together in the late 90s instead of dropping the ball, Apple would never have made the rise they did.

True enough but without Jobs and the forcing over to a REAL OS they'd still have been sunk. In the end I wish I had a full IE browser for some web training and what not but I'll take the Mac.

You know the biggest problem is changing over is unlearning the PC. Too many, and I mean WAY TOO MANY darn options. Was always trying to tweak this or that find AV software that would not kill the machine. When switching over the first month was always looking how to change this or that and when I finally gave up, I just got my stuff done and went on to something productive. Was weird for a while but I got over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back