I only drive a block to and from work

Status
Not open for further replies.
that does seem pretty lazy to me. i'd just walk. if i can walk a mile to class every day, walking a block down the street doesn't seem too bad

Last edited:
340k on 10-14k ocis with Ford ranger, i guess changing oil is overrated!...i go 6k now

What's with all these "can't ya just walk?" replies? The guy just wants to know what OCI would be best for his driving conditions. This is a oil forum. Jeez!! I walk and hike a lot on the weekends.I'm not lazy! My job is very physical. At 5AM. I'm going to drive my car 3/4 of a mile to work. At lunch I'm going to drive my car 3/4 of a mile home. Eat. Then drive 3/4 of a mile back to work. No, I don't want to stay at work for lunch. After work i'm going to drive 3/4 of a mile home. Waste of gas? I paid for it. Plus I drive a honda civic, not some gas guzzling SUV.

I have noticed in the past month many forum members not only want to solve your oil issues some by erring far from the owners manual from viscosity, and or OCI, many also want to go into psychological, health, and any other issue they can think of, or may be having them self at the time.

I would however choose to follow the time based OCI, it should state this in your owners manual, however it may not hurt to shorten it some if you feel the need to. I don't see a need for a UOA, or any frivolous money spending. What can happen with short trips are a few things, 2 that really stand out are fuel dilution, and condensation. With today's multi-port fuel injection fuel dilution is almost a non issue on 99% of stock engines (I guess some high performance engines may have an issue, but not sure). Condensation from hot/cold or warm/cold may be your biggest problem, by bringing the engine fully to operating temperature, and keeping it there for 30 minutes really gets the condensation, and some of the fuel, and other contaminates out as well. Of course this does not mean idling, it's driving the car that's why many high mileage cars have many more miles left in them, highway miles don't really hurt a car.

As for the walking it's up to you, however you could really save some money by walking to work. I'm not sure if I would dream of living that close to work or not, can't play hooky to work outside in the front yard, garden etc LOL. I'm not trying in any way to say your lazy by not walking, so don't get me wrong please, and I'm betting you may already do some walking, however I could see many many reasons why someone would choose to not walk to work as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Should I change my OCI since my vehicle doesn't even fully warm up before I turn it off? Is there a brand that would be better suited for this type of driving? I mean sure I get her warmed up a couple of times a week, but to and from work I'm driving a block or two and for a couple of minutes max.

It depends on how much you value your car, is it a kunker or a new Porsche?

Timed intervals always work best. It accounts for both short trips and high miles.

I say 3 or 4 months, plain cheap oil. As Bill said, there is no substitute for physically draining out contaminates.

6 months interval if you drive less than 4 times a week.

Mobil Clean 5k, changed out every 6 months regardless of mileage. Inexpensive oil at Wally's, good add pack, TBN of 9.0, and it is backed by a mileage/time warranty from Exxon/Mobil.

I always was conservative. PYB 3 times a year. You could run a UOA in the spring, after the winter run when the oil in theory should be the worst. If the report is good, then go for 2 OCI's a year. As Bill stated the most important thing is getting the contaminants out of the engine!

Originally Posted By: willix
Either get a bicycle, or consider moving. Heres what I got. 90mpg. [img:center]
f04e47df.jpg
[/img]

Why on earth would someone move further away from their job?

+1 Buy a house 50 miles out of town with an ARM, max out your credit cards furnishing it, buy a couple of big trucks to drive back and forth, etc. Then the price of gas goes up....

I have been driving 65 miles roundtrip for the past 10 years. I am quite sick of it lol. I would kill to have a job 1 block from home. I would ditch the second car and save so much money in gas, insurance, and the vehicle itself. Plus I would be more healthy from the daily walk. So jealous....

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
I have been driving 65 miles roundtrip for the past 10 years. I am quite sick of it lol. I would kill to have a job 1 block from home. I would ditch the second car and save so much money in gas, insurance, and the vehicle itself. Plus I would be more healthy from the daily walk. So jealous....

I agree, I spend much of my life on the road it seems. I drive 41 miles each way to work, total round trip 82 miles per day !! I hate it, despise, dread anything you can do I do that about driving the somewhat long drive. I was working 120 miles each way from home, and I'm not sure that was any worse than what I'm doing now. The extra cost of driving the distance, and what really hits me hard is the time, I feel it's like loosing part of my life on the road driving.

Enjoy living close to work, getting extra sleep, not worrying about how long it will take you to get home to your kids, and the money your saving... and don't worry about the extra stress LOL

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
that does seem pretty lazy to me. i'd just walk. if i can walk a mile to class every day, walking a block down the street doesn't seem too bad

I 100% agree. This is flat out laziness and a waste of gas, oil and resources because someone can't walk 40 strides to work.

Same person is probably on a fat loss site asking how they can lose some weight. Huge faceplam on this one.

Originally Posted By: rclint
Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut

I agree, I spend much of my life on the road it seems. I drive 41 miles each way to work, total round trip 82 miles per day !! I hate it, despise, dread anything you can do I do that about driving the somewhat long drive. I was working 120 miles each way from home, and I'm not sure that was any worse than what I'm doing now. The extra cost of driving the distance, and what really hits me hard is the time, I feel it's like loosing part of my life on the road driving.

Enjoy living close to work, getting extra sleep, not worrying about how long it will take you to get home to your kids, and the money your saving... and don't worry about the extra stress LOL

Yes, esp. in the winter I have to play weatherman and constantly watch the storm tracks and make the call to go in or not. I basically lose 5 hours of my life a week commuting. It suks....

Originally Posted By: BlazerLT

I 100% agree. This is flat out laziness and a waste of gas, oil and resources because someone can't walk 40 strides to work.

Same person is probably on a fat loss site asking how they can lose some weight. Huge faceplam on this one.

Here we go again! Read my post above. It's his gas, his oil. Even if he walked, is that going to save the environment? Give me a break. You want to help the environment? Have the government(EPA) mandate that all vehicles for personal use must get 30 MPG or better. I remember back in the late 1970's everyone was driving little econobox's. How many resources would that save today?

As for being fat? I drive 3/4 mile to work, because I don't want to walk at 5AM. I'm 48 years old, and weigh about the same as I did in high school (1979)...167lbs. Maybe you should keep personal insults to yourself!

Originally Posted By: BlazerLT

Someone should speak to you about making assumptions. How do you know this person's situation?

Personally, I'd walk too but I wouldn't expect someone such as my father to be able to due to gout. We (us) do not know the person's physical stature, reasoning, etc. nor do I want to know, but comments like this one I believe are worthless attacks on a fellow member and it's ridiculous behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back