I only drive a block to and from work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I change my OCI since my vehicle doesn't even fully warm up before I turn it off? Is there a brand that would be better suited for this type of driving? I mean sure I get her warmed up a couple of times a week, but to and from work I'm driving a block or two and for a couple of minutes max.

Good thing is you are in Texas not some place real cold.

No oil is going to cover super short trips. Your best thing is change the oil out often.

What type of vehicle? How long of a OCI have you been doing? How many miles on the vehicle?

You said that you warm it up a few times a week. HOW do you do that?

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Good thing is you are in Texas not some place real cold.

No oil is going to cover super short trips. Your best thing is change the oil out often.

What type of vehicle? How long of a OCI have you been doing? How many miles on the vehicle?

You said that you warm it up a few times a week. HOW do you do that?

Bill

+1
Short trips are hard on and engine and it's oil. If this is your habit I would change it every 2 months.

My sons Ranger truck has 340,000 miles on it but recently he purchased another car for much of his driving. Now his Ranger is only driven locally for short trips. For the life of this truck he has done 10-14K mile OCIs, but now he is changing much more often due to driving just locally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue
seriously, you can't walk that distance? sorry in advance if you are disabled.

Depends on how long the block is. Depending on what part of Texas he's in, the block could be very long. If we are talking about the standard old down to the corner block, I would recommend a pair of New Balance walking shoes, or at a minimum some good old PF Flyers.

Either get a bicycle, or consider moving. Heres what I got. 90mpg. [img:center]
f04e47df.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
You bought the car, so go ahead and use it.
But I'd use dino oil and change it kinda frequently with that rather hard on oil use.
Like 2-3000 miles.

Well I have an '02 Envoy and it has 140k on it. I only started driving like this a couple of months ago, btw.

I warm it up when I go visit friends or family as they live a good 10-40 miles away.

So I guess changing more often is it. BTW, what happens to the oil and engine when I drive the way I do?

we need more info. Every two months isn't appropriate for a new car if he takes a long highway trip every so often.
I'll keep my snarky comments to myself...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
we need more info. Every two months isn't appropriate for a new car if he takes a long highway trip every so often.
I'll keep my snarky comments to myself...

Snarky?
54.gif
16.gif

I go along with the walking if you can.

Otherwise, you might consider an 0W-x synthetic. It would give better protection to a cold engine and fight sludge. You might run it 3 months and then get a oil analysis done in order to make an informed decision on an OCI.

My truck sees a lot of short trips and some days just sits. In December I replaced the Pennzoil YB that had 3 months on it with Mobil 1 5W-30. The UOA on the YB 3 month looked good. I intend to run the Mobil 1 six months and sample.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
BTW, what happens to the oil and engine when I drive the way I do?

Engines run rich during warm up, and if you don't run it long enough to burn it off, the fuel will dilute the oil.

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
So I guess changing more often is it. BTW, what happens to the oil and engine when I drive the way I do?

Short trips fill the oil with fuel contamination and moisture.

Originally Posted By: labman
I go along with the walking if you can.

Otherwise, you might consider an 0W-x synthetic. It would give better protection to a cold engine and fight sludge. You might run it 3 months and then get a oil analysis done in order to make an informed decision on an OCI.

My truck sees a lot of short trips and some days just sits. In December I replaced the Pennzoil YB that had 3 months on it with Mobil 1 5W-30. The UOA on the YB 3 month looked good. I intend to run the Mobil 1 six months and sample.

+1

My Dad bought a Cadillac new in 1969, when he pasted away in 2001 it still only had 98,000 miles on it. All 1 block at a time, except for the move to Florida in 1980. All he ever used was 10W-40 dino w/3000oci. My Mom sold it to her neighbor and it now has 107,000, 1/2 block at a time..lol Nothing but tune-ups, tires and shocks it's whole life. Of course the occasional belt or hose too!

I think some of you get worked up over nothing, just drive the thing!!! He'll probably sell it and buy something else long before he has a problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back