I never knew they did this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are some lucky sailors. We never got to take our cars with us when I was on the boat.
grin2.gif

This is a win /win for the sailors for the Navy for the taxpayers . Years ago, a capitol ship , IIRC, a heavy cruiser's generators powered a city when its power plant failed.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those are some lucky sailors. We never got to take our cars with us when I was on the boat.
grin2.gif

It's pretty rare - the ship was changing homeport...so all those sailors were PCS'd with it...

Wonder how they chained them down? Wonder what they did for Heavy Weather?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Merkava_4 said:
changing homeport...so all those sailors were PCS'd with it...

Wonder how they chained them down? Wonder what they did for Heavy Weather?

Pray for sea state 1?

I can imagine the meetings at NAVSEA to let this go on...

This is done everytime a carrier is changing to a new Homeport or going in for extended down time for repairs, nothing new.
wink.gif

When our ship transfered to Guam we had some of the crews cars on board, but since we had limited room we were only able to take some of them, and this was 40 years ago.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Well they didn't drive them on there. Wonder how they did it?

Easy to crane them on/off...just like they crane off jets...if you can crane off a Hornet with a 40,000lb empty weight...then an F-150 or Camaro is pretty easy...

Look closely at the side of the carrier...there are cranes by the aft elevators...crane it onto elevator, run it up to the flight deck, drive it over and chain it down...just like an airplane...

Back oh 50 years ago their was a destroyer with a couple of Star boats mounted on it. Someone convinced the Navy to let him use it as his personal yacht.

Wonder how they chained them down?

I was looking for some ratcheting cargo straps in the picture, but didn't see any.

If they were helicopters, I'd use tie-down chains and wheel chocks.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Well they didn't drive them on there. Wonder how they did it?

In the comment section on another site, it was posted on how they lowered one of the elevators as put a ramp up to it. Flight and hangar deck were filled with autos.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I wonder what they'd do if they had to emergency scramble some aircraft? Just push all the cars into the ocean?

When the ship is changing homeport, it's moving from one base to another...it's on a logistic mission and is not a full combat-ready asset...the air wing isn't embarked...

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Is it necessary to have so many civilian vehicles? Usually you do not need a car outside the US.

Panda Bear, what are you talking about? This was with the ship moving from a homeport in Norfolk, VA to a home port in Kitsap, WA....all ships in the Navy serve overseas...but they have a base that they come back to called a home port...and this ship was changing homeport.

So, is it that you think sailors shouldn't be allowed to have cars? Or would you rather, as a taxpayer, pay to have all those cars shipped via another means as the sailors move across the country?

Bad enough that the entire crew (about 2,800 on a Nimitz-class) has to move involuntarily...now, they can't bring their cars?

The average age of those sailors who work on the ship is 19...a car is likely their only thing of value...especially since the Navy moves them around often, and deploys them overseas often, they don't usually even have an apartment...

Panda Bear, what are you talking about? This was with the ship moving from a homeport in Norfolk, VA to a home port in Kitsap, WA....all ships in the Navy serve overseas...but they have a base that they come back to called a home port...and this ship was changing homeport.

Didn't realize that, my bad. I though it was moving between oversea port to oversea port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back