I needed an ice scraper this morning

That's what we do at home but if it rains, freezes, or snows on top of that ice when I'm work, I let it warm up. For years, my wife made our 2-car garage a 1-car space by "storing" stuff there but that's changed now. I did park in the garage 'cause I kept half of it clean and open plus my wife's car has remote-start....

I have (2) scrapers too, a short one for thick ice and a longer one with a brush for snow and/or thinner ice.

In N.D. you have to roll your eyes at those who insist "I sit in my driveway for 30 seconds while I pick my radio station, put on my seat belt, and go" when others talk about scraping 1/2" or thicker ice or removing 8+ inches of snow ! 😂
It happens occasionally but we don't get a ton of ice here...too cold lol. Frosty mornings are what I avoid with scraping and then brushing snow is mostly what the winter would consist of if I parked outside.

Do that here and the car will be gone. Over 70 cars every day are stolen here.

Get a good scraper. The exercise is beneficial.

I have a few Hoppy ice scrapers from Hopkins Manufacturing. Bought them on the way to Tahoe a few times or others where I was already around cold weather and thought it might come in handy. I have one that was packaged with some tire cables, but it doesn't look all that strong.

Those were cheap.

I do remember getting into a rental car in Chicago years ago doing December. The first thing I noticed was that there was an ice scraper on the passenger side floor mat. And it was obvious that there was deicer in the washer reservoir. It just started melting the ice. But that would be illegal to use here. It's technically illegal to use more than 2% VOC content.

We had 8.5 inches of snow last night and my Honda was covered with snow and ice.
Did you start it and let it warm up while you cleared it off ? Or did you clean it off, then start it and take off after 30 seconds 'cause, you know, that's all the time it takes to defrost the windows ? 😆

I pull out of my garage and don't deal with it in the morning. Of course years ago, it did me little good one day when I couldn't even pull out of the cul-de-sac as I was stuck and had to use a sick day.

old house vw GTI stuck in snow.jpg

Did you start it and let it warm up while you cleared it off ? Or did you clean it off, then start it and take off after 30 seconds 'cause, you know, that's all the time it takes to defrost the windows ? 😆
I actually let it warm up while I snow blowed the driveway and the sidewalk. I drove it down to the end of the driveway and blew all the snow off with my DeWalt 60 volt blower and moved some of it off the car with my gloves. There was so much snow it was impossible for me to get to the main snow routes without getting stuck. The Jeep or the F-150 would tackle the snow with ease.

I had a good 1/4” of ice this morning, started scraping, and then said to heck with going out for coffee. But the ice scraper was doing a pretty good job.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about scrapping.. just jump on the bike and go! Amusing to pass all the cars idling in my neighborhood.

I had a good 1/4” of ice this morning, started scraping, and then said to heck with going out for coffee. But the ice scraper was doing a pretty good job.
Scrape ? Bah ! Start car, count to 30, and go..... at least that's what everyone who doesn't deal with ice or snow says you can do !

Back