I needed an ice scraper this morning

Not really. I have to pick someone up after a trip this morning and I was going to get there early. I actually have some ice scrapers at home (for trips where they might be useful) but this morning it was like the scene from Fargo. But I just warmed up the car, turned up the heat to max with the defrost (doesn’t that also turn on the A/C?) and it’s actually thawing it out. Can’t imagine what it’s like if I really needed to use an ice scraper.

I’ve been in the Sierra Nevada range where there was a thick layer of ice on my windshield. I usually just waited out the defrost.

I checked the ambient temp on the dashboard and it said 38°F. I didn’t quite understand why the ice was only on the windshield, rear window, and roof.

Not really. I have to pick someone up after a trip this morning and I was going to get there early. I actually have some ice scrapers at home (for trips where they might be useful) but this morning it was like the scene from Fargo. But I just warmed up the car, turned up the heat to max with the defrost (doesn’t that also turn on the A/C?) and it’s actually thawing it out. Can’t imagine what it’s like if I really needed to use an ice scraper.
For that light frost, deicing washer fluid works great.

A spray bottle of isopropyl and water does ok, my experience is it likes to refreeze if the windshield isn't warm enough.

We had a little bit of frost here this morning. It was -1°c (30° in American) and I destroyed my Tesco Clubcard trying to scrape what little frost there was off the windscreen. Just been on amazon and ordered myself a Sweedish Ice Scraper for next years day of frost.

A/C also dries the air. That is important in defrosting/defogging the windshield.

Gotta have fun with it. This was one morning on the way to work, one complete sheet after putting the windows down :)

1670001092241.jpg

I suggested my 17 year old daughter let car run a few minutes with defrost before leaving . Don’t have time for that.

Get a call few mins after she left I can’t see with sun hitting ice and pulled over on main road. I said car will warm and defrost will start work. Amazing !

She bought herself a $2 ice scraper that night. Live and learn.

You're so brave. Thanks for the trip report.

Using a credit card brings back a memory. Was on travel to the St. Louis area some years ago. Went out the evening prior with a few friends and had a bit too much to drink (wasn't driving). Woke up with a classic "tomahawk" to 4 degrees F, a 20 mph wind, a too thin coat only to find the rental car didn't have an ice scraper. Credit card to the rescue along with a few choice words. Gotta love the midwest. Now retired and living in SW Florida, my trusty brass edged ice scraper is hanging on the garage wall under the words "never to be used again".

Can’t imagine what it’s like if I really needed to use an ice scraper.
Start the car, turn heat on highest setting, fan on full blast, and set to DEFROST. Then go back inside for 5+ minutes or longer....

Start the car, turn heat on highest setting, fan on full blast, and set to DEFROST. Then go back inside for 5+ minutes or longer....

Do that here and the car will be gone. Over 70 cars every day are stolen here.

Get a good scraper. The exercise is beneficial.

Better yet, park in the garage. I haven't scraped in years.
That's what we do at home but if it rains, freezes, or snows on top of that ice when I'm work, I let it warm up. For years, my wife made our 2-car garage a 1-car space by "storing" stuff there but that's changed now. I did park in the garage 'cause I kept half of it clean and open plus my wife's car has remote-start....

I have (2) scrapers too, a short one for thick ice and a longer one with a brush for snow and/or thinner ice.

In N.D. you have to roll your eyes at those who insist "I sit in my driveway for 30 seconds while I pick my radio station, put on my seat belt, and go" when others talk about scraping 1/2" or thicker ice or removing 8+ inches of snow ! 😂

Back