I need to dump the M1 5-30........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometime soon and was wondering when?
wink.gif

This M1 is in my 2003 Tacoma(specs below)since 1500 miles on the ODO which is when I changed out the factory oil in March. Since this is the first oil change and the vehicle now has 4050 is it adviseable to change this interval a little early, say 3000-4000 miles on M1 or should I run it 6 months, 5000 miles? I am leery at this point extending this interval since the engine is so new.
dunno.gif

Suggestions, complaints and opinions are welcome!
wink.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4000 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 78000 Miles.

You could go either to 5k or dump it now without any problems. Being it is a new engine though, I think you are doing the right thing. I hope your sending it off for a UOA?
grin.gif

Since it's a new truck, with only 4,000+ miles on it and even though you changed the oil @ 1,500 miles it would only be a good idea to do another oil change soon. As there probably still is "new engine" assembly garbage in your oil. I look at doing this as preventative maintanance for the future. Since you're using Mobil 1 I assume that you are planning on keeping this truck for a longgggg time.
wink.gif

Whimsey

Given this is only your second change, I'd go sooner rather than later (you know, like maybe now) to ensure you get all the "stuff" out of your new engine. I think you should also take a look at what comes out of your filter and if you really want to be sure, do a UOA. This will baseline for your next change and UOA.

pscholte,Whimsey,buster, Thanks for the informative replies!
cheers.gif

I will change it at 3000 miles which will be at the end of this month and 4 months on the oil. I was thinking I needed to change this batch a little early but wasn't sure. There should be contaminents in there and I would like to check the filter but how do you cut the filter open?
dunno.gif

Any opinions on filters? I used Purolator filter this time should I use Toyota or what should I consider using?

I was thinking of a UOA but feel it would be better served after 10000 miles or so? Right?
confused.gif

Thanks!

Well-Id go longer. Butthat's just me. I would probably go with a new filter andgo 5K on the oil. But I would absolutely do an oil analysis.

Also I would suggest the 10w-30 Mobil 1 vs the 5W-30. Since you are in Florida itsfoolish to go with the 5W stuvv (my opinion only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back