I need hernia surgery. AGAIN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat

I had double hernia surgery in April of 2005. This was my first and only surgery and I hate going to the doctor. The pain has gotten worse over these last few years to the point that I cannot exercise, play with my kids, or even sneeze without pain.
I researched the patches they used on me and found out that they are known to cause nerve entanglement. I am not a fan of frivolous (sp)? law suits, but should I consult an attorney on this?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I've had the patch for 14 years. No issues. Lousy doctor?

I was not impressed with this doctor and would never go back to him. My scares look like I went to a vet for my surgery.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Is it possible your hernia has gotten bigger?

I don't feel the hernia like I did before my surgery, and no lumps to speak of other than fat rolls. If I had to describe the feeling, it would be a keebler elf in my abdomen trying to chew his way out.

I've been patched up for around 5 years now, with no problems. You would have to look very closely to find my scar. My surgeon, who happens to also be one of my neighbors, was awesome.

It sounds like you had a less than stellar doctor. My advice is to go visit another doctor.

Originally Posted By: rat
Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Is it possible your hernia has gotten bigger?

I don't feel the hernia like I did before my surgery, and no lumps to speak of other than fat rolls. If I had to describe the feeling, it would be a keebler elf in my abdomen trying to chew his way out.

Rest assured, it is not a Keebler elf. They are busy with other things:

GC_elves.jpg

I got a patch on my right side, but have a nerve tingle sometimes (sciatica?) on my left leg. Not sure if this is related.

It probably is easy to re-burst a seam once it has been done. I had a friend in high school who did that...

Originally Posted By: rat
If I had to describe the feeling, it would be a keebler elf in my abdomen trying to chew his way out.

You haven't happened to have been walking along and just woke up feeling thirsty and hungry, have you?

Ever seen one of these and taken a look inside?

alien-egg-256x256.png

Last edited:
addressing the root cause might be harder but is a better approach than going to a pain clinic.
problem will be finding a competent surgeon to correct it.

One thing about hernias, once you have one, you are susceptible to have them again. Last year, I remember we had alot of hernia repairs done over at Vanderbilt because the mesh they used got infected. Some hernia repairs had to be redone because the mesh was under recall and failed.

I had an inguinal hernia on both sides. Both times The surgeon (same guy) overlapped the abdominal wall tissue and didn't use any patch.. Both worked out well for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
What's with all the hernias? Are you all weightlifters?

I want to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back