I need help with hydraulic fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Its getting late in the season and i need to get my hydraulic hoses made very soon. I have an old fisher speedcast plow and i am getting 4 new hoses made from discount hydraulic hoses. Anyway i have everything set except i can't figure out if i have NPT fittings or BSPT fittings. I have tried searching online for a way to tell but i cant seem to find any that i can do. I do not have thread measuring wires or a caliper. The two fittings i am looking at are 1/4-18 NPT or 1/4-19 BSPT. I dont have a 19 thread per inch gauge to tell is its BSPT. I did test to see if it was 18 tpi and it seemed like it was i just dont know how close 18 and 19 tpi are to each other. I also tried looking at the thread shape themselves to tell the difference and they seemed more like BSPT. Has anyone made up lines for an old fisher speedcast or does anyone know if fisher used american or british npt fittings? If i order the hose with the wrong fittings i cannot return the hose and i have to eat the cost. Thanks

can you buy a cheap fitting somewhere.. example harbor freight and see if it fits?

does harbor freight sell 1/4in NPT and BSPT fittings. How about home depot?

When I worked at the hydraulic shop I used to tell people when they insisted to mix them it won't be rated for the max pressure anymore but yes they can interchange. Never had a problem with them being mixed. And the only way to tell is a thread Guage.

Go to a hyd hose shop. They can make you a replica for a great price. Also very them to put some spiral wrap on them as well to protect your hose. Home depot would just give you a blank stare if you asked.

Look at the threads they are tapered when it's npt. They start deep and get shallower. It will have a gasket if it's a british standard pipe thread.

bspt are taper as well. bspp is not tapered. like npsm.
bspt-British standard pipe tapered
bspp-" " parallel
npt- national pipe tapered
npsm- national pipe straight mechanical

Originally Posted By: abycat
Go to a hyd hose shop. They can make you a replica for a great price. Also very them to put some spiral wrap on them as well to protect your hose. Home depot would just give you a blank stare if you asked.

I was wondering if hd had any 1/4in BSPT fitting in the plumbing section. I actually fount i had some 1/4 NPT fittings all ready. I originally went to napa to get these hoses made with eaton weatherhead hoses and their prices were crazy. They wanted $6 something per foot and just the 2 90 degree NPT fittings were $25 a piece. I was not prepared to drop several hundred on 4 hoses. I read some good things about discount hydraulic hose and even though they don't have name brand hoses they seem to carry good products and are based in pennsylvania.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Look at the threads they are tapered when it's npt. They start deep and get shallower. It will have a gasket if it's a british standard pipe thread.

not true. bsp can have a bonded seal or a cone or ball seat on the swivel female fitting or nothing but tape or dope on the tapered fitting like npt. which distorts when tightened. Only fitting with the o-ring is o ring boss fittings. jic and sae use a 45 degree and 37 degree tapered seat on the female swivel side and the fittings that have the o ring in the end are o ring face fittings. I'm actually darn good with hydraulics and fittings.

Originally Posted By: joegreen

I was wondering if hd had any 1/4in BSPT fitting in the plumbing section. I actually fount i had some 1/4 NPT fittings all ready. I originally went to napa to get these hoses made with eaton weatherhead hoses and their prices were crazy. They wanted $6 something per foot and just the 2 90 degree NPT fittings were $25 a piece. I was not prepared to drop several hundred on 4 hoses. I read some good things about discount hydraulic hose and even though they don't have name brand hoses they seem to carry good products and are based in pennsylvania.

Eaton makes darn good hoses and fittings. Those prices are walk in customer prices. Pretty regular. Don't buy cheap hoses. I used to give my customers heck when they cheaped out on a hose then it broke and pumped out 100 litres of hydraulic oil onto the ground. Then my hose that cost double the price lasts for 5 years and still doesn't blow. I've seen hose ends come off. seen it all. Don't cheap out.

Eaton makes darn good hoses and fittings. Those prices are walk in customer prices. Pretty regular. Don't buy cheap hoses. I used to give my customers heck when they cheaped out on a hose then it broke and pumped out 100 litres of hydraulic oil onto the ground. Then my hose that cost double the price lasts for 5 years and still doesn't blow. I've seen hose ends come off. seen it all. Don't cheap out.

I am not trying to cheap out but i got what you are saying. From what i have read people like their products.

I know your not but everyone wants to save $ obviously. To make your hose super cheap get one with jic female swivel ends and then a male jic to male bsp in straight or 90 or whatever you need. You would only need r1at hose. Not r2at which is 2 wire braided.

Well i took your advice and ended up going to my local hydraulic ship and had sone parker hoses made up for $150. The guy was really cool and it was worth it to spend a little more.

I know your not but everyone wants to save $ obviously. To make your hose super cheap get one with jic female swivel ends and then a male jic to male bsp in straight or 90 or whatever you need. You would only need r1at hose. Not r2at which is 2 wire braided.

If you are going to convert - then start with ORB or O-ring face seals for the hose ends (I only do O-ring face hose ends on my projects). JIC fittings are more prone to leaks IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back