I need a screwdriver recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about getting some new screwdrivers. I was wondering if anybody here could give me a suggestion. I have it narrowed down to 4 brands (Wera, PB Swiss, Hazet, Wiha and JH Williams) I was wondering if anybody here has used any of the said brands or suggest something else that I have not listed.
Thank you.

I prefer Klein tools for screwdrivers. I get the vinyl over the rubber grip though. They pretty much speak for themselves, you should see them in person.

Originally Posted By: 67lemans
I have it narrowed down to 4 brands (Wera, PB Swiss, Hazet, Wiha and JH Williams)

Out of those you have listed, the PB Swiss with the SwissGrips would be my 1st choice.

I got this Wera set: http://www.amazon.com/Wera-05018282006-Kraftform-Screwdriver-6-Piece/dp/B0001NQQCC

In the pick 'n pull I came across a couple rivets that I wasn't expecting and was able to hammer them out with one of those screwdrivers. What impressed me was that it showed no sign of use afterwards save for a hairline scratch in the paint on the tip. They are 'German engineered' but made in Czech Republic.

Also, you should add Whitte (Matco) to your list of brands; Hazet should be removed for warranty reasons.

Yes, I have a bunch of Felo screwdrivers I brought along from Germany. You can find 550 and 552 series on Amazon in States, and those are fantastic.

Originally Posted By: 67lemans
I forgot to add that hex bolsters would be a plus on them.

Klein, offers their drivers with and w/o hex bolsters. They offer just about every kind of driver i know of.

Just an example of the stuff they keep coming out with.
http://www.kleintools.com/videos/klein-tools-demolition-screwdrivers

In the end i suppose going with something that you get buy and have replace locally would be best.

I second the Klein. I have the journeyman series and have been happy with them. I got them at a great price on eBay to boot.

I can say avoid the regular Craftsmen screwdrivers but I hear the professional line is very good.

Keep in mind that metric phillips heads and "SAE" phillips heads are slightly different, mostly in the length and taper of the tip. When you tinker with high end Japanese electronics which often have brass case screws you discover the difference. I have a set of Phillips metric drivers made somewhere in the Far East, not China, BTW, which are the only perfect fit for such things. Coated tips, bright orange handles. Got them from a now defunct company called "Imparts" many years ago. Imparts was sort of a mini Rockauto at the time.

Take a look at the home depot husky pro line. They are made in the usa by us western forge and can be swapped out at any home depot if you break one.

I had a small pocket screwdriver with interchangeable bits from HD. It was branded Husky and HD would not exchange it without a sales receipt.
Never again, its not reasonable to expect someone to keep a receipt for life for a screwdriver IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Why no consideration for Pratt-Read?
I never saw them but they seem like decent tools and Made in the USA which is a big plus!
I will get a couple from Amazon and try them out!
I have several PR screwdrivers. They are very good but they are not the "best of the best." They are a good value that I would buy again, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back