I need a new pc. Help with buying plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am overdue in replacing a single core pc running XP. Hoping to use replacement for internet surfing and streaming video (in place of cable TV). I intend to browse the black friday deals and then possibly wait in line at the store on Thursday (Thanksgiving evening). Has anyone done the "wait in line" for bargains thing? Or should I wait for cybermonday? Since I haven't bought anything during cybermonday, do I wait up till the stroke of midnight on Monday to press the buy button?...

Suggestions on how to get a good deal is appreciated.

Wait till cyber Monday for the bare bones kits from tigerdirect and newegg, waiting in line will just ruin the holidays for you.

Are the inline deals any better than cyber monday deals? I've also been wanting to upgrade to an i5 processor and a DDR3 MB.

Been looking at the sabertooth Z77 MB and 3570k CPU

Originally Posted By: jona20062000
I am overdue in replacing a single core pc running XP. Hoping to use replacement for internet surfing and streaming video (in place of cable TV). I intend to browse the black friday deals and then possibly wait in line at the store on Thursday (Thanksgiving evening). Has anyone done the "wait in line" for bargains thing? Or should I wait for cybermonday? Since I haven't bought anything during cybermonday, do I wait up till the stroke of midnight on Monday to press the buy button?...

Waiting until Thanksgiving evening to get in line will get you shut-out inside the store.

You need to get in-line in the wee-hours of Thursday (Thanksgiving) morning.

Just have the next-of-kin bring you a hot plate of Turkey and side items in one of those heated food covers - often used by pizza delivery people.

Better keep some silverware in your coat pocket... just in case it doesn't arrive with you parking lot meal.
crackmeup2.gif

Are you going to get INtel or AMD?

AMD APU-based systems will be cheaper.

An Intel Core i3 should be more than enough processor.

On-chip video... AMD is better. But... for your TV, maybe a separate video card may be necessary....

figure out what you want first, then you can shop accordingly, aggressively.

Sounds like you already got your best deal by getting a system that you've used for two complete OS upgrades by M$ and beginning the third. (In other words, you've had that machine for quite a while I suspect.)

Some are suggesting you go low with your specs. I'm going to suggest you go as high as you can afford. If you keep a machine for 6-8 years, it is nice to have it remain somewhat current for most of that time.

So I'd say and i5 or i7 (or whatever the AMD equivalent) with as much RAM and disk as you can afford.

Most Black Friday deals are likely for low end, get your attention prices that are loss leaders to get you in the store looking at something else. So why wait. Figure out how much you have to spend and start looking at systems in your price range.

If you see something that meets or beats the specs or price, it may be worth a trip out on Black Friday. Otherwise, just buy or order and use Black Friday to set it up.

Originally Posted By: jona20062000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back