I need a new HDMI cable

Just did a little renovation, since it's difficult for me to do stairs, and I have to get a new HDMI cable, my old one was 3' my new one has to be 8' what brand do you all use.. I know a lot of people say Amazon basics.. some people say not the best not the cheapest.. I would prefer a flex cable if possible .
Thanks

My opinion of cables is always buy "mid-grade". If you plug it in and almost never touch it again, it's not going to fail. Spec wise, people compare theoretical values that your eyes and ears can't distinguish. Parts Express is local to me and a great source for all sorts of cables, including HDMI.

Never heard of a "flex cable".

Just did a little renovation, since it's difficult for me to do stairs, and I have to get a new HDMI cable, my old one was 3' my new one has to be 8' what brand do you all use.. I know a lot of people say Amazon basics.. some people say not the best not the cheapest.. I would prefer a flex cable if possible .
Thanks

Check Harbor Freight.. I think they had some nice cables.. I know I saw a bunch of them last time I was there..
Just checked, yup, they have them..

Deleted Walmart's website link, they didn't have anything more than 6ft..

Last edited:
Firefold has good prices. Any style you want.

I have not been able to see a difference in video quality on a nice cord vs a cheap cord.

Lower end cables tend to struggle with distance and may or may not be the right spec to give you all features you may need. I had a lower end 10ft cable that worked fine for DirecTV for example, but would drop signal if I tried playing a video game in 4K HDR.

This video explains it very well.

Don't overthink it. Monoprice has been a good online retailer to buy cables from for years.
x2. They are on sale last week. I got a 10 ft for about $4.
So I bought one for spare.
I am sure there are other version on sale this week.

They are not lower end HDMI cable, they are really good.
I have not had any failed yet.
Out of all the cables from Monoprice, only 1 lightning cable failed after 3 years but they replaced it right away.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Amazon Basics and Monoprice Premium. Either way, buy from Amazon; MP kills you on shipping and returns, at least on East coast.

I get mine on ebay for a buck or three shipped. As long as you don't frig with them (or have cats that do) they'll last until they're obsolete.

Thanks it looks like I'm just going to get a regular Mediabridge HDMI cable instead of a braided cable, along with an 8-ft coax cable..

I don't think I've ever had an issue with any kind of HDMI cable. I've used everything from the cables that were packaged with receivers, ones I bought online, etc. And some I got for $5 in a plain plastic bag at (now defunct) Fry's Electronics. But it depends on what it's used for an the particular devices used. Theoretically there's a resolution limit based on the particular construction, and the only way to find out is when it starts showing artifacts. There's no kind of "signaling" like with USB-C cables that are marked for how much current they can handle or the speeds.

But all I've used were a max 1080p like satellite receivers, cable boxes, and Blu-Ray players. There really nothing that "exotic" cables with fancy materials does to help with picture/sound quality. It's the basic construction that determines the performance limits, and that has zero to do with how the contacts are plated or anything that sounds impressive. HDMI cables are commodity parts now.

My opinion of cables is always buy "mid-grade". If you plug it in and almost never touch it again, it's not going to fail. Spec wise, people compare theoretical values that your eyes and ears can't distinguish. Parts Express is local to me and a great source for all sorts of cables, including HDMI.

Never heard of a "flex cable".
Braided I meant.. I'm just going to go to regular one.. I have a coax back there anyway so it doesn't matter.. LOL

I'd just find something mid-grade on Amazon. I've bought products from monoprice, Blue Jeans Cable, etc in the past (geez, that could have been 15+ years ago now that I think about it) but when shipping charges are added in, you can probably buy something at Walmart. I don't know where to buy "generic" cables like this anymore. I presume places like Best Buy, etc still push $60 Monster Cables or something similar and good for them 😳

I'd just find something mid-grade on Amazon. I've bought products from monoprice, Blue Jeans Cable, etc in the past (geez, that could have been 15+ years ago now that I think about it) but when shipping charges are added in, you can probably buy something at Walmart. I don't know where to buy "generic" cables like this anymore. I presume places like Best Buy, etc still push $60 Monster Cables or something similar and good for them 😳
Yeah I think way back when, they used to push Rocketfish cables. You had to have them for an HDMI TV LOL!! Amazon is free shipping as long as you're a prime member.

Wal-Mart has their no-name Onn brand cheap. HDMI is a digital cable, it will either work or it won't. There isn't much in between as long as you can get the resolution that matches your TV.

In 10 years I've had exactly 1 HDMI cable fail, that's 12+ TV's and 15-20 cables over 3 properties. The one that failed came with a DVD player and it got replaced with one from a retired bluray player. It does pay to check which HDMI version your equipment uses and make sure the cable matches or exceeds it, some features require the newest cables I think they're up to HDMI 2.0, most stuff in the last 5 years is going to be HDMI 1.4 though unless your running 4k 60hz or something fancy.

Back