I need a new HDMI cable

In 10 years I've had exactly 1 HDMI cable fail, that's 12+ TV's and 15-20 cables over 3 properties. The one that failed came with a DVD player and it got replaced with one from a retired bluray player. It does pay to check which HDMI version your equipment uses and make sure the cable matches or exceeds it, some features require the newest cables I think they're up to HDMI 2.0, most stuff in the last 5 years is going to be HDMI 1.4 though unless your running 4k 60hz or something fancy.
4K 60Hz isn't anything fancy, it is pretty much the standard now. They are up to HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K (which not many use). The higher the spec number, the higher the bandwidth the cable is able to handle. Pretty much any $10-20 cable you buy will handle normal 4K video/audio.

4K 60Hz isn't anything fancy, it is pretty much the standard now. They are up to HDMI 2.1 that supports 8K (which not many use). The higher the spec number, the higher the bandwidth the cable is able to handle. Pretty much any $10-20 cable you buy will handle normal 4K video/audio.

There's a lot of snake oil out there though. And the stuff that comes in the box with a TV or device might cost less than 50 cents and meet all the requirements to work with the highest bitrate. That's the real scam going on with video cables.

But if it's inadequate, it's pretty obvious. It'll look something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

PC Mag has a great article on hdmi cables and the different variations. It depends on what specifications i.e. 4k 8k etc you need it for

Back