I need a Glideslope for my Garage

There ought to be some kind of product on the market that will help you park your car in the garage STRAIGHT. Some mirrors and laser beams or something. I want the car exactly centered in the middle of the garage and completely square with the four walls. My neighbors think I'm nuts because I'll get out of the car and walk to the front of the garage to eyeball the front of the car 4 or 5 times before I settle on what I perceive to be straight and square.

From a practical point of view, an aft mounted camera, facing forward along the side of the vehicle, coupled with a single, painted line and stop points would do it. We use the camera system on the G600 in just this manner.

However, I typically just set up something to align with my side view mirror.

A pic I found online showing the nose gear, and you can visualize a taxi line right between the two tires.

aT0yO.jpg

Why not hang a tennis ball so that it hits the windshield right at the rear view mirror attaching point? Then, if you pull in straight, it’ll be right where you want it.
I've seen people do that; however, I like to back into the garage.

Get a car with a straight horizontal window line. Old Mercedes, Volvo Bricks, etc.;)
This makes parking much easier, as you can subconciously aligne the car with straight lines in the surroundings of your parking space (in man-made environments, there are always straight lines somewhere. Think the line where a wall meets the pavement or some reference lines on the ground).
In a tight garage, the wall should do. If you paint a horizontal line on the garage wall at waist hight, this should be even easier.

Assuming you don't want an old brick and already have a modern car, have a look if you can program the right mirror to swivel downwards when going into reverse - a lot of cars can do this so that the rear mirror shows the curb when parallel parking. (Else, just adjust the mirror manually.)
Then pick a point on the garage wall as a reference stop point. If your garage wall is to far away, paint a line on the floor as a curb simulator or mark spots for the tyres. If the right side tyres both are on their markings, car will be perfectly positioned.

Last edited:
Why not hang a tennis ball so that it hits the windshield right at the rear view mirror attaching point? Then, if you pull in straight, it’ll be right where you want it.
That's exactly what I do. I can park the cars within an inch of the same place every time.

Back