I miss you _______ on my new car.

The ability to change transmission fluid easily (drain pug and dipstick). Ease of service in general. Other than that new cars are much better. I'd rather be driving a new one than an old one.

Yes, yes I am. :giggle: I've been wanting to buy a third key for a new to us vehicle, but the fact that the key is likely to be over $100 I've been holding off. Ever since I got spares for my last car for like $1.50 each I have had to question just where the progress is. No batteries to change, endless copies for cheap money, no worries of accidentally starting my car... I guess it could wear out but anything can.

Lol. Thats nothing. We dropped $350 recently for a new key for our previous VW. Then found the old one in my wifes pocket!!!!!

Yes, yes I am. :giggle: I've been wanting to buy a third key for a new to us vehicle, but the fact that the key is likely to be over $100 I've been holding off. Ever since I got spares for my last car for like $1.50 each I have had to question just where the progress is. No batteries to change, endless copies for cheap money, no worries of accidentally starting my car... I guess it could wear out but anything can.

Lol. Thats nothing. We dropped $350 recently for a new key for our previous VW. Then found the old one in my wifes pocket!!!!!

You guys are pretty lucky. The Mercedes keyless go keys are about $500. Which is probably why I haven't lost any of the keys in the last 6 years.

You guys are pretty lucky. The Mercedes keyless go keys are about $500. Which is probably why I haven't lost any of the keys in the last 6 years.
Come to think of it, I haven't lost any car keys either. Ever. I'm sure I've jinxed myself now, but still. It's a fair point, since I've never lost one, I should never need to buy one, so it's a bit like griping about the cost of a replacement engine--unlikely for most to ever need to face that expense.

Still, these days cars are just appliances to me, and simply take money from me, so I've been into used. I guess buying one $500 key could be viewed as just part of the purchase cost (like getting the tires I want, and adding any features I want, etc).

Come to think of it, I haven't lost any car keys either. Ever. I'm sure I've jinxed myself now, but still. It's a fair point, since I've never lost one, I should never need to buy one, so it's a bit like griping about the cost of a replacement engine--unlikely for most to ever need to face that expense.

Still, these days cars are just appliances to me, and simply take money from me, so I've been into used. I guess buying one $500 key could be viewed as just part of the purchase cost (like getting the tires I want, and adding any features I want, etc).
Well I use to be pretty cavalier about where I would put the second key sometimes and then go crazy trying to find it later. But now I make sure I know where the second key is and keep it in a specific spot so it doesn't get accidently lost.

In this thread I realized I'm fixing up the BITOG dream machine.

A 1966 chevy biscayne.

Inline 6, perfectly balanced.
Room under the hood.
5/16" thick window glass with great visibility.
Vent windows (with their own cute little cranks) and cowl/floor vents too.
multi-colored upholstery. Some is even absent! Can see the springs.
2- speed automatic transmission. Rarely in the wrong gear. Takes Dexron 1, 2, 3, or 6 for you flea market scroungers. Allows roll starts for those who like having a backup plan.
Trunk big enough for those autozone clearance hauls.
14 inch tires. Easy to fit with manual drum brakes all around.
Green paint.
Key start. In fact, the car came without keys, and the pot metal cylinders were like butter to drill through. :cool:
Glass headlights with floor mounted dimmer switch.
Cable operated throttle? No way. Rod linkage! Knurled knob on (aftermarket) carb for on-the-fly idle speed adjustments.
One wingnut between the operator and air filter.
Half-circle horn ring with two-tone horn.
Full perimeter frame with chrome bumpers.

Rose tinted glasses, baby!

I do miss vent windows and trucks that you get in without having to lift your body in to. Normal size tires that you can lift to rotate your own and a real spare that you can use till you are ready to replace. Transmission dipstick is a must have on an automatic. Miss the horn ring too. Floor vents for quiet comfortable cruising when the weather is nice.

I miss tires with actual side walls. Todays large-rim-low-profile wheels generate excessive road noise, and don't take potholes too well.

14" wheels with 80 aspect ratio tires are definitely the ticket. I hope that they make a comeback sooner than later.

I agree yet if they give you the actual pressure like on my Camray I find it very useful. Those others 💩

Agreed; I like the ones that give a pressure readout, or better yet, give you the pressure and temperature.

Trans dip stick! I've only had 1 vehicle (BMW) that did not have an oil dispstick. Hated it.

I had a GM vehicle with the same. Used to just guess at the level. Would have liked to see the level. ...

I miss cassette players. Nowadays you have to be adding an aftermarket audio unit if you want Bluetooth connectivity (Android or apple I would say) on any car up until maybe about a couple of years ago. The 80s, 90s, 2000, and most of the 2010s.. did not have this.

You can just go to Walmart and get a tape adapter and plug it in your phone and drive.. if your phone still has a headphone jack. I miss that too 😊

And on another 1000+ mile road trip like the one I'm on next week, it is rather a necessity, once you have had enough silence and tranquility....

Back