I miss Ma's Pasta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother has been gone now for over 22 years and she was a wonderful cook. She would have been 90 years old!

She made the best sauce with meatballs, sausage, brigole, pork blade and hard boiled eggs. M'mmmmm!
smile.gif
She made everything else too but, man I miss the sauce!

She would start early on a Saturday morning and we wouldn't have the sauce til Sunday afternoon. The sauce would simmer all day & night til we were ready to eat on Sunday afternoon. The love and seasonings that she put into the HUGE Kettle would be her trademark.

No one elses sauce tastes like Ma's. Not my wife nor her mother or sisters. My sister's is very, very close but, I don't live with her!

Not saying that these ladies don't make Great Sauce, but, they each have their own flavor and personality. I am happy to sit down to a plate of their sauce/pasta anytime!
laugh.gif

Ma, would have either, ravioli, stuffed shells, manicotti, or rigatoni/ziti, lasagna. My favorite is thin spaghetti but not angel hair. My Dad love her lasagna! Dad would have been 101 years old
smile.gif

Man, I could just sit there with a loaf of fresh Italian bread and dunk in the sauce.

I miss Ma alot, not only for her cooking but, because she loved me with all of her heart!

I guess you can tell my background and upbringing!

wink.gif

CB

Last edited:
I feel the same way when I think about my great grandmother. What a cook. Her sauce was also delicious, I don't think she ever used a measuring instrument but always knew just how much.

I never left her house hungry.

Right now, I am very hungry thinking about her food and then reading your post.

She was the kindest person I ever knew, I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with her, but I loved being around her any moment I could.

Last edited:
Nice story, Italian mothers and fathers could all cook. Too bad as we get older it's harder to eat the great food we enjoyed when we were young.....from a health standpoint.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Nice story, Italian mothers and fathers could all cook. Too bad as we get older it's harder to eat the great food we enjoyed when we were young.....from a health standpoint.

Oh, indeed! I have one stent already!
smirk.gif

But, I am now 30 lbs lighter and have good biometrics
smile.gif

I was even good on Thanksgiving. You had to see all of the pies that I passed up!
frown.gif

Last edited:
home cooking really is a dying breed. i can only hope someone says such great and wonderful things about me when i'm gone
wink.gif

I have a friend that just loves The Olive Garden. He thinks it the best Italian food he's eaten. WOW! I can't stand their food at all! Not even their soup & salad! How did they screw that up? IDK! The breadsticks are OK!

My wife and I also adopted the Sunday sauce tradition we grew up with. Sunday mornings she gets a pot going, sometimes with meat(meatballs, sausage, veal shoulder, braciole). Usually with rigatoni or penne rigate occasionally spaghetti or gnocchi topped with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. She is an excellent cook. Tonight's dinner was left over lasagna she made from scratch for our guests on the weekend. Our kids love it too, their ages are single digits. My daughter brags that her plate doesn't even need to be washed because whe's wiped it so clean with bread. Last night we had osso buco and it was awesome; served on a bed of garlic mash. We love GOOD food. I am a food addict; literally. I am unable to stop once I start. My weight is a constant battle and I regularly need to adjust my eating habits. We never go out for Italian, we're always disappointed. Her homemade pizza from scratch is awesome too.

My mom is also a very good cook. Her, my wife and nonna are the very special ladies in my life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Good story paisano!
wink.gif

"Countryman" Whether you are or you aren't, you are!

I enjoyed reading you post too, bud. As you know, food is not just nourishment for us paesani, it's an event, everytime!

At our house our lives revolve around our meals and not the other way around. We live to eat, not eat to live.

My wife cooks, not assembles, dinner 6 days a week to make sure our kids and us eat right! She always cooks extra to make sure the kids and I get the leftovers for lunch. We also limit takeout food.

We all have a clean bill of health too!

My mother is still around and is still a great cook.
She may be of Greek heritage, but she can make a pasta dish that rivals anything from any Italian kitchen.
I really enjoy red sauce in all its many varieties.
It should be noted that tomatoes are a new world fruit, so red sauce as we know it didn't exist as a part of Italian cooking until the sixteenth century.

man I miss the sauce!

This brings up a good point: always make sure you collect cherished familiy recipes for yourself and posterity, because sooner or hopefully later you will have to cook and bake them yourself.

I know how to cook all of grandma's most sucessful dishes, and I know all of uncle Fred's wonderful BBQ secrets. I have yet to discover Aunt Bee's Boeuf Bourguignon recipe, but not before long I will wrench it from her arthritic fingers.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
My mother is still around and is still a great cook.
She may be of Greek heritage, but she can make a pasta dish that rivals anything from any Italian kitchen.
I really enjoy red sauce in all its many varieties.
It should be noted that tomatoes are a new world fruit, so red sauce as we know it didn't exist as a part of Italian cooking until the sixteenth century.

He,He! I don't think that you need to be Italian in order to make good sauce!
smile.gif

I know an young woman of German descent that make quite good sauce. It's how much love a person pours into their recipe.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
man I miss the sauce!

This brings up a good point: always make sure you collect cherished familiy recipes for yourself and posterity, because sooner or hopefully later you will have to cook and bake them yourself.

I know how to cook all of grandma's most sucessful dishes, and I know all of uncle Fred's wonderful BBQ secrets. I have yet to discover Aunt Bee's Boeuf Bourguignon recipe, but not before long I will wrench it from her arthritic fingers.

hotwheels

My mother never wrote down her recipe for anything. She took everything to her grave! It was probably her mother's recipe and my sister has it in her head as well. They just tossed in the ingredients! Pinch a dis, dab a dat, smidgen of somt'in-else!
laugh.gif

Their hand was their measuring cup!
My mother had hands like a man! She'd move the refrigerator to pick up a quarter(.25c)
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
man I miss the sauce!

My mother never wrote down her recipe for anything. She took everything to her grave!

You didn't see it coming?

hotwheels

DIDN'T SEE WHAT COMING?
frown.gif

You didn't see it coming that the recipes would be lost without someone jotting them down?

hotwheels

I have a friend that just loves The Olive Garden. He thinks it the best Italian food he's eaten. WOW! I can't stand their food at all! Not even their soup & salad! How did they screw that up? IDK! The breadsticks are OK!

Any good Italian would practically VOMIT after eating in that place.

Simply horrid in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back