I miss 3k oil changes and greasing my cars!

While waiting for the oil to drain out of my car I realized I missed the old days where I would change oil every 3k and grease the car at the same time. While under there I would look around and see if anything needed attention. Now my cars just need an oil change every 10k or so. I do appreciate the lower maintenance but I feel my connection with my cars has been lost...

I miss changing oil in, VW air cooled 4's and dropping the strainer and cleaning it in the Safety Kleen parts washer, or changing the pre 1968 Chevy small block cannister oil filters, or leaning over the GM engines with points distributors and adjusting the dwell to 32 degrees with an the allan wrench through the distributor cap window, or changing the old natural cork valve covers on Chevy and Pontiac engines, or synchronizing the 2 1 barrel carbs on most of the Corvairs, or changing clutches in MGs, Triumps, and other British Leyland cars by pulling the engine, or changing spark plugs in a Chevy V8 equipped Monza, by loosening the motor mounts and jacking up the front of the engine, or greasing all the cars that had grease fittings on the U-Joints where you need the special grease gun adapter to get to the fitting centered on the joint..........NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Last edited:
While waiting for the oil to drain out of my car I realized I missed the old days where I would change oil every 3k and grease the car at the same time. While under there I would look around and see if anything needed attention. Now my cars just need an oil change every 10k or so. I do appreciate the lower maintenance but I feel my connection with my cars has been lost...
Toyota specs a 10K interval for 0W-16 and 0W-20 cars, but still mandates a tire rotation and full inspection every 5K.

Their maintenance light is programmed to come on every 5K.

Most YT mechanics for Toyota basically say that 10k/Annual oil changes are recipe for disaster, and to stick to the 5k/6 month rule.
It only seems to be an issue on the models that are prone to oil consumption. At least if using some subjectively “lower quality” oils.

I know when I work on my old vw's, I can just imagine some kid at jiffy lube saying "what the". I get great satisfaction when I finish up after adjusting valves and cleaning my oil bath air filter, and then taking the old girl for a drive.

I know when I work on my old vw's, I can just imagine some kid at jiffy lube saying "what the". I get great satisfaction when I finish up after adjusting valves and cleaning my oil bath air filter, and then taking the old girl for a drive.
Oh yeah, forgot about the oil bath air cleaners on the Solex carb VWs. That was a good system, made for non-paved roads. Another laugh I used to have with new to VW types was to ask them to check the water in the battery which they could never find.

Well, in NJ, you can still get Krown done! Does that count as greasing your car? :D

Also, there are some cars that still require a 3k OCI, like the 4th gen Camry V6 1MZ and also the VW/Audi 1.8T from the same era. Those are cars where you want to do a 3k OCI with synthetic :sneaky:

In exchange you can look forward to faster depreciation, and more, and more expensive parts replacements due to hands-off, no lube or fluid changes more (if ever) often.

It's a choice. Blissful ignorance that depends on the disposable mindset society has, just puts you on a course for trashing it. Sadly this is not your fault, the industry has spoken. In an effort to be "green" we should build things that are too expensive to keep repairing. Brilliant.

Well change your oil at 3K miles then but not the oil filter. Change it next time. 6K on oil filter is nothing when your "flushing" it a 3K with fresh oil. Look around under the car while it's draining. Problem solved.

Sounds from someone with too much time on their hands. You could always land a job at a quick lube and restore that connection all day long.

I don't miss them one bit. When I first started LOF was the most common thing on RO's along with any other work. It was more of a PITA than anything.

Back