I may have seen the Castrol Formula R

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have seen the Castrol Formula R when I was in an AutoZone looking for the German Castrol. I din'y pay much attention when I noticed Castrol R on the box because I was looking for the other oil.

Some are saying that Castrol Formula R has already replaced the German made Castrol 'Down Under.' Perhaps they were just getting rid of the German Castrol here until the Formula R was available.

It is possible the Castrol Formula R is a much better motor oil.

Considering they are different viscosities I don't think the 0w40 will replace the 0w30, but may just be added to the lineup. You guys will be very lucky if you get that stuff! I'd be willing to bet we won't see it here, since we still don't see 0w40 Mobil 1 except in 2 or 3 stores in all of Toronto, and there are no commonly available 5w40s either.

Mystic, I'm skeptical.

Castrol does make an RX oil--for diesels, and an R4 oil for bikes. More likely that you saw one of the these.

Edited upon reading the following post by Patman. R is 0w-40. My oversight.

[ July 12, 2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: YZF150 ]

I thought Formula R was 0w40 though. Am I wrong in that assumption? That would be a good oil for an LT1 or LS1 engine, as long as it's not a thick 40wt.

I suspect what you saw was Castrol RX, which is a HD 15w40 conventional oil sold in the US. I'd be quite surprised to see Formula R showing up at our local AutoZones.

Castrol RX Heavy Duty Oil

I went back to the store. Sorry guys-the cardboard on the box had been torn so that all I could see was Castrol R. It was not the Castrol Formula R.

I doubt that they will even sell that Castrol R here in the USA-how many cars and trucks here use 0W-40 viscosity?

Is Castrol just dumping the German 0W-30 here to get rid of it, or are they really serious about selling it here?

yes they are serious about selling it here-theyve GOT to have SOMETHING to compete w/ ExxonMobil's Mobil 1 0w-40 thats advertised for European cars. This is why Castrol's 0w-30 is labelled on the back as a "European Formulation" (im paraphrasing here).

and as soon as i use up the two 5 litre jugs of Lubro-Moly 0w-40 i bought for $10/ a piece, im going back to the german syntec 0w-30 for my VW 1.8T!! Unless i cant get it at the local autozone by new home in the sticks! Then its back to M1 0w-40, or M1 15w-50!

Chris,

I hope you are right. After going through a couple of days where I was thinking this was just a short-term initiative, I'm beginning to think that as you say, its here to stay...

So is Castrol R coming to the US and if so how does it stack up against M1? Seems like a very good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back