I"m back - still at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I havn't posted here for quite sometime now and wanted to check up to see how everyone is doing.

I'm doing alright, still have my Ranger running on M1 5w30 SS but I think I will switch it over to Amsoil 5w30 Original Synthetic because the Ranger ticks at first start up of the day and it's getting annoying, my Ranger only has 50K on it and it's a 98
confused.gif

Anyway, I know this post might get moved but hey, just dropping by and saying what's up, refreshing my memory. I will keep in touch and help out some people here,,,,,,,AR

Why do you think switching from one 5w30 to another would help it's cold start situation though? I don't think there is enough of a difference in the cold cranking of those two oils that would make one better than the other for that situation, especially in the summer when both oils would flow almost identically.

Welcome back by the way!

What brand of oil filter? It could be a weak anti-drainback valve causing the noise on startup. Fram filters tend to have this problem.

Welcome back. My 98 chevy with the 5.7L has been ticking at cold startup with the 10W-30 Mobil 1 SS and I only have 53,200 miles on it. I have about 3,900 miles on this oil change so maybe thats part of the problem.

Wayne

Thanks for the welcome backs
smile.gif

Why switching from one 5w30 to another Patman, I have no friggin idea. I've heard some rumors that M1 oils tend to make certain engines tick if you will upon start, I proved myself on this one. Now this is JMO, is it all necessarily true, who knows??
dunno.gif

Just seems to me that Amsoil just seems like a beter oil, but hey your the expert.

Also, I am using a STP filter right now, I know cheapy. So what would you reccomend I try out????? Thanks,,,,,,,,AR

Welcome back AirborneRanger. I like the Motorcraft filter for a Ford product. They are well made filters, sell for about $3, can be found easily at wallyworld or parts stores and those ending with a 'S' designation (e.g. FL400S) have the desirable silicon anti-drain back valve. As far as oil, I am a dino guy, but if I were to use a syn it would be M1 5w30. Its a good product and so easy to find anywhere.

BTW, Ford states in their owners manuals that using oil filters outside of Ford specs can cause start-up noises. That's where a good anti-drain back valve comes into play. Try the Motorcraft filter and let us know if that helps. I use a FL400S in my 3.0 Ranger and I get almost instant start-up oil pressure and no knock.

I am currently running M1 5w30 SS and seems to be ok even after 4500 miles and prior to putting M1 in, I did the Auto-rx treatment which I guess helped???? engine didn't run any diff and no difference in mileage, but then again I was using a M1 filter during the process wondering if that had anything to do with it. I'll give the motorcraft filter a go see how my Ranger acts towards it. Thanks again for the warm welcomes,,,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
I am currently running M1 5w30 SS and seems to be ok even after 4500 miles and prior to putting M1 in, I did the Auto-rx treatment which I guess helped???? engine didn't run any diff and no difference in mileage, but then again I was using a M1 filter during the process wondering if that had anything to do with it. I'll give the motorcraft filter a go see how my Ranger acts towards it. Thanks again for the warm welcomes,,,,,,AR

I think if you want to go to a "better oil" to to Amsoil 0W-30 or Mobil1 10W-30. Both these oils seem to show better UOA's in my very humble opinion.

hmmmm, 0w30 sounds alittle too thin for my needs. I sometimes run the A/C in my truck, going 60 mph on about 40 mile trips one way. Can the 0w30 still handle this????? AR

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
hmmmm, 0w30 sounds alittle too thin for my needs. I sometimes run the A/C in my truck, going 60 mph on about 40 mile trips one way. Can the 0w30 still handle this????? AR

Definitely. It's a common misconception that 0w30 oil is too thin, but if you look at the viscosity specs, you'll see that it has a viscosity at 40c similar to many 10w30 and 5w30 oils, and is thicker at 100c than most of them too, making it more than capable of handling everything you throw at it. The 0w number simply means the oil is built well enough that when it's extremely cold, it can pass the cold cranking test. If you pour a bottle of 0w30 into your engine, you'll see that at room temperature it's not a thin oil by any means. Amsoil 0w30 is an excellent oil.

Thank you much Patman,

So maybe mated with the Amsoil SD filter and there 0w30 it should be more than sufficent protection, sweet!! Thanks,,,,,AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back