I Like The Oils That Have Safety Foil Under Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i buy jugs of oil for my own cars i prefer the oils that have the foil under the cap i think it is more secure and there is a much less chance of the oil leaking out. I see the jugs of pennzoil and some leak and others are a little low on oil but say oil like Mobil they are much less likely to leak or be tampered with.
I happen to like Pennzoil especially when on roll back but i lean to the more secure jugs. This is why i don't use my bulk oil at home it leaked on me twice. We are a busy shop and have very little space so i change my oil at home.

I don't like the foil.
Just last week, such a pain when having to unfoil 6 quart bottles of castrol; and having to make sure no bits of foil/glue are remaining and not going in.

And it's not like oil is really that magical fluid. Put yourself in the thief's shoes. If they really want to make a buck, do you think they're going to be retiring with their $25/jug returned oil?
If you believe psychopaths are out there who are tampering for lols, i think they have better targets for tampering then oil.

I think the fear that you're getting tampered oil is somewhat like the clickbait of getting sold old tires, to make you feel better for watching out. It happened to jane smith in oklahoma, watch out it'll happen to you!

Last edited:
I bought a 5 quart jug of PP and 3 quarts of it had a party on my weathertech trunk liner on the way home.

Walmart let me return it, though. Since the cap seal was still unbroken.

There's always going back to the old cans of oil. No tampering and leaks unless they are dropped.

But yes I agree about the foil sometimes getting in the way. I think the worst is a bottle of techron. That foil is on super tight and difficult to completely remove cleanly.

I don't like the foil, you could get a small piece in the engine. Aluminum isn't the only way to make the container tamper proof.

i don't mind foil. i usually take a pocket knife into one edge and run it around the outside egde. grab it before you meet the cut and pick it up in 1 big piece. it's just like opening a can with a can opener, just grab it so it doesn't fall in.

I actually prefer foiled containers, less chance of a leak if it falls over in the vehicle on the ride home.

I love foil and tamper evident caps! Oil should have both.

Never had problems with the foil going into the engine.

What about tiny microscopic particles of the foil that must break away when you cut or break the foil? Should we be concerned?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

What about tiny microscopic particles of the foil that must break away when you cut or break the foil? Should we be concerned?

I know I would sleep like a baby at nights if microscopic particles went into my car.

AMSoil has the nice plastic/foil seal on top that has a notch half the circle to grab and pull the whole thing right off. No cutting or anything. I like that.

Agreed. Not sure how this is even an issue, as it has been noted several times.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i don't mind foil. i usually take a pocket knife into one edge and run it around the outside egde. grab it before you meet the cut and pick it up in 1 big piece. it's just like opening a can with a can opener, just grab it so it doesn't fall in.

I actually prefer foiled containers, less chance of a leak if it falls over in the vehicle on the ride home.

Until Pennzoil stops running these promotions with the codes printed on the underside of the caps, I'm boycotting them and using a different brand. Went to get 2 jugs of PP yesterday. Store only had 2 jugs on the shelf and one of the caps was already opened. No thanks.

I've had very good success with the PP but further down on the shelf is the other grey jug with both a cap retainer and a seal underneath. For the same price I'll go with the sealed container.

I can take it or leave it. All oils have the caps that should be fastened to the bottle like a milk jug. If its not broken, youre golden.

I had an issue with the foil getting down in my oil on time. I had to take a razor knife to the jug and turn it into a bowl to get it out. No harm done.. its just a pain and requires a little extra caution when opening.

For those of you who don't know, the foil is called an induction seal. The caps come with the foil already in place. After the caps are screwed on in the filling line an electric charge is applied, inductively, to the cap and the foil gets hot enough to fuse to the rim of the bottle.

I think I got a 5 qt jug of M1 from Wal Mart recently that may have had a bit of oil on the rim because the foil wasn't perfectly sealed. The bottle fell over in the car on the way home and leaked a little. It was just a little, not enough to be a big deal, but it did show that no process is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back