I like Mobil 1, but it's so thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do alot of short trip driving so I get a little fuel mixed in with it and it's even thinner. On the last change I used Mobil Drive Clean Plus HM 10/30 w/ 1 quart of 10/30 M1. I wanted something a little thicker for the 95+ degree summer. Looks like I got it because I get at least 2MPG less than I got with Mobil 1.

I know this is just theory, but what would I end up with if I mixed 3.5 quarts of M1 10/30 with 1 quart of 15/50? Would it still be a 30 weight? I know the only answer is probably a UOA, but I thought maybe someone else had already tried this and could chime in.

Thanks

A lot of LS1 owners add 15w50 to their Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 in order to beef it up. I think with your ratio you'd probably thicken it up to a middle to high 30wt. If you wanted it to be a thin 40wt you'd probably have to add a bit more 15w50. As always, doing a VOA and UOA is the best way to see how the viscosity starts out and ends up.

rolleyes.gif
I feel like you if your car or truck holds like 4 1/2 qts I would put 4 M1 10/30 1/2qt 15/50 Synthetic. Then say you do a UOA or need to add put the other 1/2 qt in. Thats how I am doing it.The oil pressure goes up at idle by several lbs I see no harm in it and I bet you can go 7500 miles easy.
grin.gif

i used to do this with good results (not UOA, just personal experience)....

A 25% mixture will be a higher 30 wt. You ned around a 50% mixture to get you in the lower 40 wt. I think a 25% mixture would be good for you.

I tried the M1 15W-50 plus M1 5W-30 mix in my new vette, can't say I notice any diff from straight M1 5W-30 .... luckily there is a solution to this problem ... it's called Castrol Syntec 0W-30 GC and will soon be in all my cars ... nice viscosity... perfect in my opinion ..otherwise I'd try M1 0W-40

quote:

Originally posted by goldfinger:
... On the last change I used Mobil Drive Clean Plus HM 10/30 w/ 1 quart of 10/30 M1. I wanted something a little thicker for the 95+ degree summer. Looks like I got it because I get at least 2MPG less than I got with Mobil 1.

I'm guessing you lost mpg 'cuz you're using something which is no longer a full syn (along with other operating factors). Sure, it's a bit thicker, but not enough to cause the drop you're seeing.

quote:

Originally posted by goldfinger:
I know this is just theory, but what would I end up with if I mixed 3.5 quarts of M1 10/30 with 1 quart of 15/50? Would it still be a 30 weight? ...

Take a look at this response from satterfi. From this information, I'd say two qts of 15W-50 & the remainder of whatever M1 xW-30 you like would still leave you in 30 wt territory.

I guess it's thin, but how much do you really need to thicken it up?

Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W30 - 100C viscosity = 10.0 cSt
Mobil 1 0W-30 - 100C viscosity = 10.3 cSt
Pennzoil 5W-30 or 10W-30 dino - 100C viscosity = 10.5 cSt
Chevron Supreme 5W-30 dino - 100C viscosity = 10.8 cSt

It's still a 30 weight. Does the 5%-8% difference really mean anything? Especially since the M1 is unlikely to shear down in use...

I don't believe that all oils run at the same temps. By using the cSt at 212f, you are fooling yourself. If a M1 runs 10 degrees cooler than the Pennzoil 5w-30, you will have a "thicker" oil at your operating temps.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I don't believe that all oils run at the same temps. By using the cSt at 212f, you are fooling yourself. If a M1 runs 10 degrees cooler than the Pennzoil 5w-30, you will have a "thicker" oil at your operating temps.

Another good point. That and M1's good resistance to shear would make this even less of an issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back