I learned today that it's possibly a bad idea to rotate an engine backwards

I fail to see how any modern engine can suffer catastrophic failure as a direct result of being rotated backwards. Timing belt drives, for the most part, have hydraulic tensioners which are easily able to overcome any "reverse tension" that may be applied. TIming chain tensioners are much the same: they have built in safety locks which prevent them from collapsing.

In fact, when replacing the timing chain tensioner on a Toyota 1ZZ, the actual factory procedure is to remove the original tensioner, install the new LOCKED tensioner, and rotate the crankshaft slowly counter-clockwise while listening for a distinct "CLICK". Once the click is heard, you rotate the engine 2x in it's normal direction and fire it up.

What about cam lobe wear? Since those lobes and tappets/lifters/etc. are apparently worn into one another harmoniously such that they cannot be interchanged, wouldn’t rotating them backwards disrupt the wear pattern?

What about cam lobe wear? Since those lobes and tappets/lifters/etc. are apparently worn into one another harmoniously such that they cannot be interchanged, wouldn’t rotating them backwards disrupt the wear pattern?

No. I've seen engines run backwards & be fine afterward.

There are some engines I'd be leery of barring backwards.....
*Ford Modular engines with factory or aftermarket Non-Ratcheting Tensioners with a lot of miles.
*GM High Feature V6, If you've a bunch of Timing Chains on these.....You know what I speak of.....Timing chain half off a couple cam sprockets!!
*GM 2.4L VVT Ecotech, Timing chain wear/Maxed Tensioner.

Was it the 273/318/340 that could actually run perfectly fine backwards with just little tinkering with the ignition firing order. I dont remember it was so long ago.

Back