I learned something new (historic info)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at an owners manual for a 1970 Cadillac and noticed the oil recommendation. I was surprised to see 5W and 5W-20, which I didn't know existed at that time!

Statement about filter every other change should blow some minds too...
36.gif

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Statement about filter every other change should blow some minds too...
36.gif

What was the recommended OCI, 1000 miles?
;^)

They did exist but as you see they only wanted you to use it in 20F or lower temps.
My dad used Mobil 1 back in 1976 in Northern Finland where it got to -30C in winter, that was the original 5W-20, in Summer he used 10W-40 or 20W-50 as per the O.M.

In the 1960's 20w was the preferred oil for GM vehicles. I could never wrap my head around that one. But I drove Ford's and Mopar's!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

What was the recommended OCI, 1000 miles?
;^)

OCI was 4 months or 6k, except in special driving conditions:

Edit: driving in Phoenix would pose both temperature and dust issues for the Cad!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RyanY
I was surprised to see 5W and 5W-20, which I didn't know existed at that time!

Have a read of this. The 5W category was added in 1950. It's an interested read regarding the evolution of SAE J300, especially the tests and temperatures that were employed.

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
In the 1960's 20w was the preferred oil for GM vehicles. I could never wrap my head around that one. But I drove Ford's and Mopar's!

When I was a kid , on the farm , Dad only bought Gulf oil from the Gulf distributor he bought propane from . Only 20 weight , for the car and tractor . He was very particular about oil changes . The money came out of his back pocket and he took care of his equipment .

The 5W30 is listed twice-for below 20F & up to 60F! Oils have improved immensely in the last 50 years-those recommendations are all based on Group I oils. Any modern major multi grade (like a 0W40) could cover all those temperatures easily.

Back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, a person would be best off using only the same oil the engine maker used in field durability tests, the exact brand and weight based on winter vs. summer testing.
These days, specs like dexos1, SN, 229.5, etc. allow better qualifications for oils to prove themselves across multiple brands.

I used 5W-20 in my 1972 F-100 PU in Alaska while stationed at a radar site there in the early 70's. Still needed 2 - 750W engine heaters or it would not start below zero. (Also had a 100w battery blanket and 800W interior warmer)

Last edited:
That's very interesting SilverSnake.

Bet it got exceptionally cold in that area.

And.. you must have lived quite an interesting life
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
I think most people would be surprised just how far back these specs go....

Post of the week winner here
lol.gif

And possibly post of the year.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Post of the week winner here
lol.gif
And possibly post of the year.

That is a fact!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back