I know some may disagree but

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's daughters 94 Corolla has 317k miles....Oil change has been with the cheapest Wal-Mart Brand Dino oil you can buy...
changes it from 3-4k miles and has never had a problem.
One could say its a older better made Toyota or just lucky.
I told her the older Corollas were better made than the new ones
IMHO and she will not get that kind of mileage with no problems.
Some kid offered her 750 bucks and she was going to buy a new one last week.
Point is why spend the extra money on high price syn oil when Cheapo Dino would get your to over 200k ?
Granted I use M1 myself in my 2.4 Highlander and change it 2 times a year or every 4500 to 5k miles....we dont drive much

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
My wife's daughters 94 Corolla has 317k miles....Oil change has been with the cheapest Wal-Mart Brand Dino oil you can buy...
Point is why spend the extra money on high price syn oil when Cheapo Dino would get your to over 200k ?
Granted I use M1 myself in my 2.4 Highlander and change it 2 times a year or every 4500 to 5k miles....we dont drive much

I think you'll find that most people here agree with you.

For a well designed engine with gentle use, Id agree. Lots of variables that can play into it from there though...

Yes any dino will do when your OCI is 3-4K miles.

Corollas were not made better back in the day.

They just had different objectives.

Now super low emissions(hotter running engines),long service intervals to please enviromentalist leftist politicians(use less oil products),and heavier cars that are a result of safety legislation have changed compacts,subcompacts as well as every other car on the road.

Why would I want to waste my time changing cheap Wally dino 3x a year when I only have to it once a year using Mobil 1 EP?

Case in point of why I will be running Havoline in my 2010 Mustang GT. If the owner's manual recommends dino, then why use anything else? A car is a machine, and it certainly won't last forever. I have had engines last longer than the paint...

Rose colored glasses, in my opinion. I'm sure in '94 whomever bought the corolla didn't think it would last like the car they had before it. That's a natural feeling. While more things are made of plastic these days, the rustproofing and engine management are way ahead of even 10 just years ago.

Nobody doubts 3-5000 mile oci's with dino. But you might not have fared as well with 10,000 mile changes, or starting in minus 20 degree days.

Congrats on the good ride. My father is at 284,000 on a 96 Camry, on only dino, probably 7500 mile oci's. They're good cars. But either of my rides are better built.

750 bucks? My mind would jump on it, but my heart would pine for 350,000 miles!

Last edited:
why spend the extra money on high price syn oil when Cheapo Dino would get your to over 200k ?

Dino works for some(engines)but not all,there's lots of different applications that what works for one will not work for others,if dino works for you good,it's just not or will ever be for me.

The older Corolla's are practically bullet proof. Any time there is less high tech gadgetry at play a vehicle will see more uptime compared to others with electrical issues(not saying the newer Corolla has any of these problems). If it were me, I'd have her save up money while still driving it so she buy the new car out right!. Then sell it =)

Or if she wants to sell it, tell her to ask for 1k, its bullet proof!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back