I just want a str8 answer on a THIN oil for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the most watery-thin oil for winter and I don't care about its properties at operating temps. I've been using M1 0W-30 (manual calls for 5W-30), but I read on this board that, for example GC 0W-30 is a 'thick' oil and that PP 5W-30 is 'thinner' than M1 0W-30 and that M1 10W-30 'flows better' than their 5W, etc...so which oil out there will enable the engine to crank over the fastest? Again, I don't care about what happens once it's at operating temps.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I want the most watery-thin oil for winter and I don't care about its properties at operating temps. I've been using M1 0W-30 (manual calls for 5W-30), but I read on this board that, for example GC 0W-30 is a 'thick' oil and that PP 5W-30 is 'thinner' than M1 0W-30 and that M1 10W-30 'flows better' than their 5W, etc...so which oil out there will enable the engine to crank over the fastest? Again, I don't care about what happens once it's at operating temps.

0W-20.

Because the viscosity rating on the bottle is simply a 'range' it would seem logical that the lowest overall viscosity fluid would be of the 0W-20 grade.

You'll have to compare data sheets to find the lowest viscosity range in this particular grade.

And Toyota WS at that! Cst ~ 5.5.

A 0-20 will be the thinnest thing at room temp to -40. That grade is kinda hard to find.

A 5-20 is probably thinner than a 0-30 in the range the original poster is asking about.

Last edited:
As someone who knows and loves winter. Try Amsoil 0w30 SSO or Redline 0w30 These were like water at -30C outside!

I want the most watery-thin oil for winter and I don't care about its properties at operating temps.

Run straight MMO then.

167qsn9.jpg

Quote:

Try Amsoil 0w30 SSO or Redline 0w30, at -30C they were like water.

Like George Carlin's line about getting "on the plane" Heck, I"m getting "in the plane; it is a lot less windy there!"

Last edited:
I believe you are asking about cold flow properties (cranking/engine start-up). If so, then kinematic viscosity is irrelevant. What you want is a motor oil with the lowest MRV @ -40C. Right now that is M1 0W-20, where MRV @ -40ºc = 5642 cSt. I don't believe there is any other mainstream/major brand that outperforms M1 0W-20 in the MRV viscometric property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back