I just sold the Taurus

Had the 04 Taurus in signature out today for a ride with a friend, seats are amazingly comfortable and the temperature today was 95 degrees here when we went for my prescriptions. AC was super cold and that old Vulcan motor just purrrs right along. Cream puff for 400 bucks, new plugs/plug wires and valve cover gaskets with getting the heater core blown out also -- money well spent soo far and hopefully lasts acouple years yet. Also new front quick struts helped with the sagging front.
Nice! I wish we didn't have to let ours go. A Taurus was never a car I would have expected to own, but I did enjoy it while we had it. My wife actually enjoyed driving it. She even got a fancy steering wheel cover for it.

Had the 04 Taurus in signature out today for a ride with a friend, seats are amazingly comfortable and the temperature today was 95 degrees here when we went for my prescriptions. AC was super cold and that old Vulcan motor just purrrs right along. Cream puff for 400 bucks, new plugs/plug wires and valve cover gaskets with getting the heater core blown out also -- money well spent soo far and hopefully lasts acouple years yet. Also new front quick struts helped with the sagging front.
What about the sagging rear struts? Mine were already shot when they had less than 30k. Replaced them several times with Monroe quick struts.

My mom's 2004 is still ticking along. It has the 3.0 Duratec DOHC engine. It's at 390,000 miles roughly and has never had any transmission work done besides normal service work. The K member has been out to replace a failed flexplate but that's really the only major repair. I had the TSB performed for the loose cam cap that was a problem on these and it was ticking bad. Original water pump even.

The classic Taurus slouch. Always looked like it had a few bodies in the trunk.
It had a well known name on the Taurus forums, SAS, sagging ass syndrome. The rear springs were weak and so were the fronts. Mine actually had a recall on them but instead of replacing the weak springs, all the recall did was put some shields around the spring so that when they snapped, it didn't puncture your tire, but no fix for the spring. Heck of a recall that addresses a problem but doesn't really fix it. All the aftermarket quick struts had beefier springs.

all very minor, the early essex hada HG recall. Reminded me of the subbie, after - runs to 250, 300K fine. They stopped production & it came out later as the base go to fr a decade in the F150. Like the 4.9 it bridged the gap carb thru CFI (TBI) and onto SPFI. My 3.8 is plenty tqie (tows well, nice pep off the line) in a oe LTD fox waggy.

What about the sagging rear struts? Mine were already shot when they had less than 30k. Replaced them several times with Monroe quick struts.
They were replaced recently before I took purchase with quick struts also. The fronts were terrible though when purchased.

Back