I just sold the Taurus

We purchased my sisters 2000 Ford Taurus a year and half (ish) ago as a dog transport / beach / general outdoor activities car and got some good use out of it until it started spewing coolant. Signs point to a water pump failure. Knowing that we don't need a third vehicle the Taurus has sat for a couple months until we had more discretionary funds to have it repaired. With the economy the way it is those funds never came. I did make it a practice to drive the vehicle around the block every now and then to keep things limber and keep the tires from developing flat spots. Tires mind you, that were just installed! Oh well.

Well after my most recent drive around the block I noticed the ABS light was on in addition to the A/C not working. One of the things I always loved about the Taurus was its ICE cold A/C. At this point I was convinced more than ever that it was time to sell.

So, farewell Sandy. May your new owners feed you only the best oil, filters and Top Tier fuel. Who am I kidding, that's just for us BITOGer's.

Attachments

• D1292C6A-18AA-43AF-9695-0C9457DC5088.jpeg
    D1292C6A-18AA-43AF-9695-0C9457DC5088.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I had a 99' ford Taurus & another Taurus I forgot the year it was, the 99' lost it's drain plug probably went I drove through a fence or something, I took it to a shop & the guy working said it had no oil in it & I was lucky it still ran, I don't know how long I drove it like that, this was back in my young & extra dumb days, he put a new drain plug in & new oil & it drove for long after that no problems, people can say what they want about Fords that Taurus was a tough son of a gun.

I had a 99' ford Taurus & another Taurus I forgot the year it was, the 99' lost it's drain plug probably went I drove through a fence or something, I took it to a shop & the guy working said it had no oil in it & I was lucky it still ran, I don't know how long I drove it like that, this was back in my young & extra dumb days, he put a new drain plug in & new oil & it drove for long after that no problems, people can say what they want about Fords that Taurus was a tough son of a gun.
Yep, these have a reputation and more specifically for eating transmissions but at 213K miles ours drove exceptionally well. Sad to see it go, but it was time.

I sent our 2000 Taurus wagon to the wreckers two years ago. It was developing bad rust in critical locations of the “ frame” and the spring on the driver’s side front let go and pierced the tire, luckily while I was backing up in the driveway. It had 150,000 miles and still had all the original accesories. I hauled the kids around when they were little in it, so it was somewhat a sentimental experience. I got a 12 month Victoria, BC bus pass for turning in the car, which I gave to my daughter in college.

Last edited:
In the process of refurbishing a low mileage '99 wagon. Heard that many people still like these for their comfortable ride and basic mechanical layout. Hope it turns out to be money well spent.
I’ll agree with you, it was very comfortable. The interior also was in surprisingly good shape for being 22 years old. The seats hardly had any wear.

In the process of refurbishing a low mileage '99 wagon. Heard that many people still like these for their comfortable ride and basic mechanical layout. Hope it turns out to be money well spent.
These days, anything that runs well and is under $5000 is going to be in demand. There's always people that need a cheap car, especially in this market.

Edit: I read your post as you planning to flip it, but I might have been mistaken on second read

I remember whet came out; they were heavily advertised as a 5 star crash car, and often at 0% OTD deals

Sad to see it go too. I like them they are nice cars I really like the Taurus SHO all styles and the 96-99 body styles best but these weren’t bad either. I was never a fan of the style of the later ones. I know my 3.0 is fast it will get you in trouble if you aren’t careful and I imagine it was the same for the Taurus haha. In my area you really don’t see any generation of Taurus except the last one. Don’t know why. Occasionally you’ll see an older one but not often. My neighbor had one she traded it for an Avalon in about 2009 she said the cooling system was giving her issues which I’ve heard is common in the 3.0. Sad to see it go but unfortunately we can’t keep them all. I just sold a vehicle last week which is something I thought i’d never do in my life lol.

Somebody sells a 22 year old dinosaur and it gets 15 (and counting) replies.

I'm in the Twilight Zone........

We purchased my sisters 2000 Ford Taurus a year and half (ish) ago as a dog transport / beach / general outdoor activities car and got some good use out of it until it started spewing coolant. Signs point to a water pump failure. Knowing that we don't need a third vehicle the Taurus has sat for a couple months until we had more discretionary funds to have it repaired. With the economy the way it is those funds never came. I did make it a practice to drive the vehicle around the block every now and then to keep things limber and keep the tires from developing flat spots. Tires mind you, that were just installed! Oh well.

Well after my most recent drive around the block I noticed the ABS light was on in addition to the A/C not working. One of the things I always loved about the Taurus was its ICE cold A/C. At this point I was convinced more than ever that it was time to sell.

So, farewell Sandy. May your new owners feed you only the best oil, filters and Top Tier fuel. Who am I kidding, that's just for us BITOGer's.
Smart move, 24,

Back