I just registered with the FAA as an UAS operator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Now if we can just get transponders fitted to birds!

Birds are lining up to register with the FAA now. Good enough?

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
So registering prevents operators from flying a drone into an airplane???
How is a simple registration doing ANYTHING other than collecting taxes????
Wake up people

It provides an easier path for accountability. Airports will soon have the ability to disable drones that are within restricted airspace, and the police will be able to track down the owner more easily.
What does licenses have to do with airports disabling drones? And have the authorities had any trouble tracking down rouge drone owners now?

Originally Posted By: hatt
Wake up people

It provides an easier path for accountability. Airports will soon have the ability to disable drones that are within restricted airspace, and the police will be able to track down the owner more easily.
What does licenses have to do with airports disabling drones? And have the authorities had any trouble tracking down rouge drone owners now?
How about mandatory safety equipment required to register including a shut down feature for use by airport operators.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Wake up people

How about mandatory safety equipment required to register including a shut down feature for use by airport operators.

I don't know much about the technology required to do that, and how far beyond the 5 mile radius of the airport it will extend. I guess the person flying the drone would be liable for what it hits when it falls to earth after being shut down. I have read that some of the quads that have GPS will have restricted areas programmed in, so they cannot fly into that area. I have checked the map to confirm that both locations that I fly at are well outside of a 5 mile radius of any airport. I'd be in favor of some mandatory training for new pilots, even a licensing exam, but you have to get them to register. Perhaps before you can walk out of the store with your new drone, you need to take a written test? That may get some places that sell them, and shouldn't, to drop them.
So I'm ok for the next three years, I fear what will happen after that, full blown transponders and N numbers. I suspect the cost will go up considerably.

Cheer up, this is the prototype for gun registration.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
And then there's this:

Wow, that's just plain old Battery, vid says she was arrested (and hopefully charged)

Wake up people

I have seen on TV cases were the drone was spotted by a helicopter, they searched the area. Saw a person with a transmitter in hand and dispatched the cops to the address. They apprehended the person, impounded the drone (quadcopter). Don't know if he was charged or not. I don't recall if the altitude of the drone was stated, or if he was in restricted airspace, or if the helicopter broke any altitude rules searching for him. If it were not for the FPV technology, the operator has to be within sight, and close enough to see the orientation of the airplane, usually not far away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Technology + (ignorance & irresponsibility) = potentially dangerous situations & new government regulations.

Something similar is coming with green lasers, if not a total ban/confiscation.
How bout a lack of common sense.

True story: Late 1970's, I get an extra ticket to see the NY Jets play at Shea Stadium. My very first live pro football game. It was a cold day in December.

There was an organized group whose hobby was radio controlled planes (and other flying contraptions). They did an annual show at Shea stadium where at half time they demonstrated their skill by flying around various planes and other devices in the stadium at half time. I was upstairs in the mezzanine (with the upper deck over my head).

It was either a flying lawnmower, or a flying dog house with snoopy on top that was flying around, pretty high over the stadium. Looked to me to be struggling, so I looked up and felt okay since there was a roof over my head.

Short story, the contraption fell out of the sky from up high and hit a fan in one of the field level seats near the field. He died, and that was the end of flying contraptions at Shea stadium.

How does UAS avoid flying in to another UAS? Is there an accepted standard which UAS follows such as keep to the right, eastbound UAS drops its height etc? I am talking about real UAS which is self flying, e.g. the ones which Amazon going to use to deliver my socks. I mean what happens when the delivery of socks from Amazon and underwear from Walmart coincide?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
UAS's need to be regulated, there have been too many close calls with manned aircraft. And if there is a collision that causes injury or loss of life to a flight crew or passengers then it needs to be mandatory federal prison sentence for the operator. People will say "too harsh" or "more loss of freedoms, time for a revolution!" or whatever, but if you lost a family member or members on an aircraft brought down by a UAS owner operating their vehicle in blatant violation of FAA regs I bet you would feel differently.

As a pilot and aircraft owner, and fellow lover of freedom, I'm conflicted on the regulations.

Drones pose a huge risk. Period. I'd rather see built in 200 foot AGL limit. With total prohibition around airports.

I used to have a Parrot drone. It had a built in 20 or 30 foot limit. Perfect for toys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Freedom dies by erosion, slowly but surely.

Drones operating near airports or above a few hundred feet pose a serious threat to aircraft.

As long as I can shoot drones from the sky when they pose a threat to airplanes with people in them, you can keep your freedom.

12ga, 40mm Bofors, I'm not picky, but drones near airports should be shot down and the owners prosecuted for putting people's lives at risk.

Or, you could regulate them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back