I just registered with the FAA as an UAS operator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great fun, surprisingly the website actually worked.
I don't think that we had a problem in this country with RC model aircraft until you could walk in to Best Buy as an example, and walk out with a 5 pound quad copter and an hour later be at 1000 feet with little or no skill.

UAS's need to be regulated, there have been too many close calls with manned aircraft. And if there is a collision that causes injury or loss of life to a flight crew or passengers then it needs to be mandatory federal prison sentence for the operator. People will say "too harsh" or "more loss of freedoms, time for a revolution!" or whatever, but if you lost a family member or members on an aircraft brought down by a UAS owner operating their vehicle in blatant violation of FAA regs I bet you would feel differently.

Wonder if insurance companies are salivating at the idea of drone liability coverage.

My sub-1/2 lb toy drone got stuck in a tree. Mostly my fault.
wink.gif

I cannot imagine the embarrassment of having registered a drone, stranding it in a tree, then getting cited years later for "failure to retrieve an abandoned UAS and its hazardous batteries"

Thanks for being a responsible owner!

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Freedom dies by erosion, slowly but surely.

While that's true, as a pilot I'm glad to see that there is some control on this. I'd hate to hit a drone operated by an irresponsible operator. Not to say that any BITOG member would be irresponsible and operate a drone illegally of course.

A drone ingested into a turbine engine would likely kill that engine. If that engine were on a 777 carrying 250 passengers...well, you can see the logic.

Last edited:
So registering prevents operators from flying a drone into an airplane???
How is a simple registration doing ANYTHING other than collecting taxes????
Wake up people

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Wake up people

It provides an easier path for accountability. Airports will soon have the ability to disable drones that are within restricted airspace, and the police will be able to track down the owner more easily.

Responsible drone folks will not be affected by the law, just the idiots that want to film an aircraft on final approach to airport.

Also idiots are filming in national parks and visitors complain about buzzing noise. They are like a baby crying in a movie theater, very annoying.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Wake up people

It provides an easier path for accountability. Airports will soon have the ability to disable drones that are within restricted airspace, and the police will be able to track down the owner more easily.
+1 It's the result of the droneboy attitude that they have a "right" to fly around YOUR backyard. I have said over and over that irresponsible operation of these devices by a very few would result in regulations for all, and I'm NO fan of gubbermint bureaucrats. It happened. If they'd just have stayed away from airports....I never understood the reason for that. If operators don't wise up there will be more reguilation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Responsible drone folks will not be affected by the law, just the idiots that want to film an aircraft on final approach to airport.

Also idiots are filming in national parks and visitors complain about buzzing noise. They are like a baby crying in a movie theater, very annoying.

I agree. I despise government regulations and controls placed upon us in the name of an all powerful "Oz"....but these things are getting to be a real problem.

The real problem...and cause of the authorities getting involved...is irresponsibility. Isn't that always how it works though? I mean the decent, responsible people ALWAYS have to pay or suffer because of the irresponsible dolts?
Gotta love that...not.

Quote:
+1 It's the result of the droneboy attitude that they have a "right" to fly around YOUR backyard. I

What is it, 50 ft above the highest structure is FAA airspace?

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I don't think that we had a problem in this country with RC model aircraft until you could walk in to Best Buy as an example, and walk out with a 5 pound quad copter and an hour later be at 1000 feet with little or no skill.

There is never a problem with anything until the product becomes popular amongst the clueless who can walk into a retail store that previously never sold such a product (Best Buy is NOT a Hobby Store) and be an owner, but just as clueless, an hour later.

Nor do lawmakers make laws about products that the clueless do not buy, until the clueless start buying them, revealing the idiot's guide to operation and abuse of the rest of humanity, to the rest of humanity, who (naturally) complain.

I am sure criminals using drones will not register them. The idiot people with the drones will get arrested for flying drones around restricted airspace etc maybe.

Went to the local park yesterday with my dog and there was 5 different people flying their new Christmas gift there. And they all had one thing in common....they all crashed them multiple times. So now I have to be on the lookout for getting hit with these things when I hear them I guess. I am not sure the drone was the aircraft or the operator.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
So now I have to be on the lookout for getting hit with these things

You mean like this guy?

But remember, the freakin' nut jobs at Amazon, led by Bezos, wants to fill the skies with falling shrapnel to deliver your socks to your door in record time....
60_1130_Rose_640x360.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: JetStar

There is never a problem with anything until the product becomes popular amongst the clueless who can walk into a retail store that previously never sold such a product (Best Buy is NOT a Hobby Store) and be an owner, but just as clueless, an hour later.

Nor do lawmakers make laws about products that the clueless do not buy, until the clueless start buying them, revealing the idiot's guide to operation and abuse of the rest of humanity, to the rest of humanity, who (naturally) complain.

I agree, the same thing has happened with other things as well, when they go mainstream, things go bad. Some of this is the fault of the manufacturers themselves and the ever present pursuit of profit growth. I work in the Aerospace industry so I'm well aware of the damage resulting from impacting one of these things. Back when I started this hobby, you really had to want to do it. Building your own plane, leaning how to fly it, fixing it when you crashed. It took months for that first flight. Luckily I fly off of private land and don't have to deal with the idiot general public. I think some of this is the media drumming up scary news. Even the FAA's own report on near misses was full of [censored].
We'll see how this goes.
Now if we can just get transponders fitted to birds!

What good does registration do? An owner can choose to not register it. Or worse, register it under someone else's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back